About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Weedkiller v, Rain!
Page Previous  1, 2, 3

Author 

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 06 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so.............is this my action plan.

1. Have a little dig to see how far down the weeds go?
2. Shear/sythe/strim off the tops of the weeds/flowers
3 Get the men in with the diggers...............to remove the top surface
4. Rake over
5. Scatter seeds.
6. Wait

??????

bernie-woman

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 06 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep - thats about it - I would look to see how deep the topsoil is - when you dig you exploratory hole you will clearly see the layers of soil and you will see how much to take off - although as others have said you do have some lovely wildflowers there already

Rikki

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 06 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glyphosate is available from all sorts of manufacturers, so look at the small print. It can also be bought as a concentrate to mix up and use in a pumped sprayer. BUT make sure it's not windy when you use it or you'll kill everything down wind of you!!

cab

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 06 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if it turns out you've got a really deep, rich topsoil, reconsider!

mrsnesbitt

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 06 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And if it turns out you've got a really deep, rich topsoil, reconsider!

Sorry, Cab, can you explain a bit please....
Dx

cab

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 06 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrsnesbitt wrote:
Sorry, Cab, can you explain a bit please....
Dx

There's a friend of mine has a garden up in Nottingham. Always complaining that she hasn't got any topsoil, but that's 'cos she's lazy. Been in that house for years, every time I go I tell her that she needs a few loads of muck and some topsoil, a couple of afternoons graft and some polythene sheet, and she can turn her clay undersoil into a nice place for growing anything she likes. Because at the moment there's just a few inches of soil (or, in some places, not) over the top of the clay.

On the other hand, a couple I know who used to live close to the Severn could did down and down and not find anything but good, dark soil for five feet or so. Good river alluvium, as it were.

In some places, you've got lots of topsoil, in others you have very little. If it turns out that because this ground is rich and well cultivared you've got deep, good soil, you might be better off not having your wildflower mix there at all. You just don't want to be digging out three feet of soil! If thats the case, there are other ways to make it look pretty and wild.

mrsnesbitt

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 06 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure I will find it is very good soil Cab.
I was speaking to Mick, a farmer neighbour who said we have the best soil in the village.
The plot is uneven and needs levelling............so back to my action plan, but not a wildflower meadow?
Next to the plot is a large sycamore tree.......would my meadow be any good there? ie in shade.
D

bernie-woman

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 06 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrsnesbitt wrote:
I am sure I will find it is very good soil Cab.
I was speaking to Mick, a farmer neighbour who said we have the best soil in the village.
The plot is uneven and needs levelling............so back to my action plan, but not a wildflower meadow?
Next to the plot is a large sycamore tree.......would my meadow be any good there? ie in shade.
D

It is not so much whether it is good soil - the fact you have growing what is growing means it is good soil - Cab was referring to the depth of topsoil - some places have little or non and others have a very deep topsoil layer which will ultimately determine whether you can feasibly skim the top off it - can I ask what is in the wildflower mix that you want plant?

mrsnesbitt

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 06 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
can I ask what is in the wildflower mix that you want plant?

meadow mix........grass, cornflower, poppies, lots of others.will go and sort out a proper list and let you know.

Thanks
D

bernie-woman

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 06 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrsnesbitt wrote:
Quote:
can I ask what is in the wildflower mix that you want plant?

meadow mix........grass, cornflower, poppies, lots of others.will go and sort out a proper list and let you know.

Thanks
D

I would be interested to know as many seed mixes need sowing in the autumn as the seeds need the cold to start them off

There is a fact sheet here explaining what has already been explained in this thread from the wildlife trust

https://www.lincstrust.org.uk/factsheets/meadow/create.php

and one here from the RHS

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles1200/wildflower_meadow.asp

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Land Management All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive