Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
What type/style of cook are you?
Page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Author 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 05 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Fraid I can't be doing with much tarting up and farting about - food tends to get bunged on the table as it comes out of the pot in our household!
On that basis, though, I reckon I could get a job as a chef at St Dunstan's (or at least to David Blunkett)!

Cashew

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 05 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to look up lots of recipes for the same thing and then combine the best bits of each. If I only have one recipe, I still normally end up subverting it in some way.

Saturday, I adapted a Nigel Slater grilled chicken recipe involving carrot, celery, thyme, dessert wine, garlic and onion into a stove top version with 1/2 a yellow pepper - rescued from the depths of the freezer - instead of the carrot and what was left of some madeira instead of dessert wine.

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 05 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends what I'm cooking. I like to think I'm pretty good at making a meal out of what's to hand. On the other hand, if you're cooking a classic why bugger about with it, other people have spent years working out the definitive recipe for rognons sautes turbigo so that I don't have to. And don't start me on onion soup.

tahir

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 05 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sean wrote:
And don't start me on onion soup.

Why not? it's always fun talking to you about onion soup

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 05 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sean wrote:
It depends what I'm cooking. I like to think I'm pretty good at making a meal out of what's to hand. On the other hand, if you're cooking a classic why bugger about with it, other people have spent years working out the definitive recipe for rognons sautes turbigo so that I don't have to. And don't start me on onion soup.

The style of cooking is what tends to effect whether I use a recipe. For Asian cooking I almost always will, as the spices to use and how to use them is pretty complex. Though the Rogan recipe I posted earlier is sort of our own, as it is an amalgum of several recipes.

jema

leebu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 05 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My own style is inspired by Bruce Lee:" The art of cooking without cooking": Smallest effort for maximum effect.

It's one of the reasons I enjoyed HFW's cookery- placenta aside, most of the recipes consist of good, fresh ingredients and a few selected flavours added rather than huge, fiddly ensembles. Ditto for alot of Delia's recipes.
I like taking a recipe and then changing it to suit my mood and larder. I don't see myself as a "fine chef" because I usually tend to start from a recipe and adapt it, trying hard to resist the temptation to change too much at a time.
Cooking is ok but anyone who seriously thinks its more fun than eating needs their head examined. With that in mind why spend more time on food preparation than you have to?

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 05 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leebu wrote:

Cooking is ok but anyone who seriously thinks its more fun than eating needs their head examined. With that in mind why spend more time on food preparation than you have to?

Been thinking about that one, and it strikes home to me a problem that I expect a lot of people have. I do enjoy cooking a lot, but with pressures of time because of other stuff, something enjoyable can become a chore rather than a pleasure Kind of goes to the heart of what downsizing should in some ways be about, changing your lifestyle so you can enjoy it more.
Of course a lot of my "workload" is downsizer.net which makes it all rather contradictory

jema

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive