Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Onion soup
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Author 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 05 8:37 am    Post subject: My quick onion soup recipe Reply with quote

Here is my quick recipe

nob of Butter and slosh of oil
garlic
handful of dried onions
vegetable stock
Sliced onions

Fry the dried onions in the oil/butter mix until dark brown-add garlic
(watch them carefully, since they burn easily)
add the vegetable stock and the sliced onions and cook to
the correct constituency -- the colour will be ok now
add your cheese of choice and croutons
Grill and serve
P.S. most people don't use enough onions (or garlic).

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 05 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dried onions!

I see dried ingredients on the supermarket shelf, but have practically never used such things, I think i once bought dried peppers that were OK.

Anyone else use dried stuff?

jema

Blacksmith

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 05 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Onion Soup ! Make mine with home grown " turbo" onions, found out wht they are called " turbo" as the digestive process gets going ( oh, hark at me! pardon)
One of the best i ever had was in a pub in Keswick ( Dog & Gun Poss ?) Had been up in the fells for a week living off dried food, arrived at the pub just before closing time, the landlady took pity on us and gave us the soup and bread rolls.
Dave

Lloyd

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 05 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to try Sean's recipe in 15 mins...After my whisky. Only problem is have no suitable booze so am using 1664. Hope that won't bugger it up!...And doing half measures coz its a big recipe!

Lloyd

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 05 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jema wrote:
dried onions!

I see dried ingredients on the supermarket shelf, but have practically never used such things, I think i once bought dried peppers that were OK.

jema

I use dried mushrooms, toms, as and when depending on what flavour I want to achieve. Dried garlic I give two scoops of to ma hoss every night.

dougal

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 05 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think everyone's offered variations on a clear(ish) **brown** onion soup (BTW for better caramelisation try adding a little caster sugar 2/3 way through frying),
BUT
what about a **white** cream of onion soup?

Presumably:
boil the onions in water.
Make a bechamel sauce (using some of the onion liquid?)
Process together. (maybe withhold a little onion and just chop it roughly, for a bit of texture/garnish?)
Reheat, seasoning to taste, and diluting to suit with stock/milk/water/white wine, adding cream, etc (bit of nutmeg? garnish with parsley? chives?)

Alternatives, additions - please!

Last edited by dougal on Sat Feb 05, 05 12:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

Lloyd

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 05 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds sexy

Lloyd

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 05 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sean'a recipe really was VERY nice. Took longer than I thought, I took the tip (?Dougal's?) and added caster sugar when caramelising, albeit this made the soup sweeter, and a can of 1664, as I mentionned above. Overall lovely. I fried the croutons in i/2 oz of truffle butter, grated mature Welsh cheddar over the lot before serving. Turbo soup though as Blacksmith pointed out. Anyone want an article with pix of each stage?...(please say no, groan!)

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 05 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madman wrote:
jema wrote:
dried onions!

jema

I use dried mushrooms, toms, as and when depending on what flavour I want to achieve. Dried garlic I give two scoops of to ma hoss every night.

we used some dried Porcini mushrooms today, my daughter was cooking and so I wanted to give her what she wanted. Very expensive and in my opinion a total waste.

jema

snowball
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 05 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The porcini were a waste because they were in a chicken pie, and you need a mortgage to get enough for the flavours to come through.
On the bright side, she is 13 and produced a main meal, chicken and mushroom pie, mash, steamed cabbage and gravy followed by apple crumble. It was for 5 people and very well done.
Up until now she has only wanted to bake cakes and puddings.
On the subject of onion soup, if you caremalise the onions for long enough, you don't need sugar, you release the natural sugars of the onions.
Does any one else sprinkle cheese on top of the finished product?

Bugs

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 05 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madman wrote:
Anyone want an article with pix of each stage?...(please say no, groan!)

Yes please! But not the turbo stage thanks, you can leave that to the imagination

alison
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 05 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We do a large crouton, cut into a circle and placed on top with grated cheese lightly grilled on that.

daniel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 05 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyhanks for putting this thread up! I was looking to make onion soup last weekend but i didn't have a recipe so i went made the french onion tart of RCY which, incidentally, was a savoury delight. I realise now that i had a recipe for onion soup in Jamie's dinners that i had forgotten all about. Thats next then.

dougal

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 05 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snowball wrote:
The porcini were a waste because they were in a chicken pie, and you need a mortgage to get enough for the flavours to come through.
Granny/Eggsucking risk considered, but - the soaking liquid is where most of the flavour is. And its pretty strong. Strain off any grit very carefully though!
Quote:
On the subject of onion soup, if you caremalise the onions for long enough, you don't need sugar, you release the natural sugars of the onions.
Suggestion was just that a little sugar would *speed* caramelisation/browning...
Quote:
Does any one else sprinkle cheese on top of the finished product?
I put grated Emmental on toasted bread in the bowl, then ladle the soup over. Some would flash it under a grill to 'crust' the cheese.
A catering trick is to bake small croutons tossed in oil, and then to toss them still hot from the oven with (surprisingly little) finely grated cheese (Parmesan?) which melts onto the crouton...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive