Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Norway to kill 25% of its wolves
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Author 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 09 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i will have a waif

Mutton

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 09 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Predators - isn't this what live in the field with the flock guard dogs are used for in the US - and probably Eastern Europe as well.

mihto

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 09 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silas wrote:
Where is erikt?

Better ask where mihto is

This is, after all, up my lane.

Yes we have been killing (taking out) wolves over some years.

Not many have been killed legally. More have been taken out quietly and highly illegally by farmers or run over by cars/trains.

Norway is a large country. The wolwes are concentrated in a rather small area which borders on Sweden. As long as they are in their designed area they are left in peace. There are no fences, however, and a wolf pack needs space.

Together with bears, wolverines and lynx they do enormous damage to our sheep and sometimes cattle.

They are such a menace in some areas that sheep farmers are not allowed to put their animals on summer grazing for animal welfare reason. Many farmers have packed in and stopped farming.

Sweden is about to start proper license hunting, btw. The wolf population is growing in Scandinavia.

That said I'm in two minds over the problem. Wolves are fantastic animals and they certainly belong to our forests.

I'm grateful that those desicions are not mine to make.

dpack

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 09 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you have wolverines ?

mihto

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 09 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpack wrote:
you have wolverines ?

Oh yes. Way too many. They are horrible predators but are protected in many areas even so. In my area they are limited to a few litters a year. When too many shep are lost, some animals are taken out. If they eat deer or reindeer, they are left alone.

Wolverines kill without needing food. They are bloodthirsty and can ravage a sheep flock. They damage as many as they kill.

Our bears mosly eat vegetarian and they are also left alone untill they go for livestock. We have had only one stray into my area within the last 50 years.

Lynxes are all over the country and they certainly kill sheep but in lesser numbers. They are also hunted when they become too numerous.

dpack

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 09 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wolverines have a reputation to keep up with ,ferrets are bad but a 25kg weasle is a worrything thought

Slim

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 09 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpack wrote:
wolverines have a reputation to keep up with ,ferrets are bad but a 25kg weasle is a worrything thought

once they bite, they don't let go

vegplot

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 09 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mihto wrote:
dpack wrote:
you have wolverines ?

Oh yes. Way too many. They are horrible predators but are protected in many areas even so. In my area they are limited to a few litters a year. When too many shep are lost, some animals are taken out. If they eat deer or reindeer, they are left alone.

Wolverines kill without needing food. They are bloodthirsty and can ravage a sheep flock. They damage as many as they kill.

Our bears mosly eat vegetarian and they are also left alone untill they go for livestock. We have had only one stray into my area within the last 50 years.

Lynxes are all over the country and they certainly kill sheep but in lesser numbers. They are also hunted when they become too numerous.

Solution is simple, don't have sheep. Buy Welsh or British instead, we've already killed all our large predators that go for sheep (except two legged rats who hunt at night).

mihto

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 09 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vegplot wrote:
Solution is simple, don't have sheep. Buy Welsh or British instead, we've already killed all our large predators that go for sheep (except two legged rats who hunt at night).

Many people would agree with you. None of those would be farmers.

You see, vegplot, we have all this luscious mountain grass which would never be used without grazing sheep. So many farmers have given up over the last 10 years only. Those still left have good sheepsheds, good breeding sheep and fantastic grazing as well as adoring customers who love our tasty mutton.

Some farmesrs ask for wolves to be caught in the mountains and be released in the huge forests surrounding Oslo. Maybe the city people would be less supportive of predators if they risked their little dogs being devoured on a Sunday outing?

Slim

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 09 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would've loved that when I was there!

I'm probably not your average though

mihto

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 09 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slim wrote:
I would've loved that when I was there!

I'm probably not your average though

I hope not!

Honestly, we have the same discussion as you: Furious farmers competing with city-slickers.

There is no win-win solution on the livestock/predator problem except telling farmes to totally move out of certain areas. The amount of wildlife is thinly spread in Norway due to a limited supply of winter food. To make a proper fenced-in game park is neigh impossible. Once wolves/bears/lynxes/wolverines are left alone they will thrive and spread in the nature reserve areas. Without domestic stock they would eat elk, roe deer and reindeer. At the edges of their designated areas the confrontation with the farmers would start all over.

Not kidding about dead dogs, Slim. Only this week a hunting dog was killed by wolves while chasing an elk. The farmers/hunters are livid by now and would shoot every wolf at sight.

Slim

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 09 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I know you're not, a Canadian girl was recently killed by coyotes.
And I've lost plenty of cats to coyotes/fisher cats, but I still think healthy forests need predators

mihto

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 09 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slim wrote:
And I've lost plenty of cats to coyotes/fisher cats, but I still think healthy forests need predators

Totally agree in principle. Like you we have enormous forested areas (in the north we are part of the tundra and further south the Swedish/Finish forests bordering us stretches all the way through Russia to the Pacific Ocean) and not every forest can house the larger predators. Our discussion is on where they are allowed to live. If they had stayed in certain areas there would be no problem.

We have breeding stock entering from Sweden/Finland. There they are selling the hunting rights to bears and wolves for a very high price. When we shoot the sheep-eating animals we get lambasted all over the newspapers.

*goes away to sulk. My innocent little country never did nothing wrong*

Slim

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 09 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mihto wrote:

Then why have I eaten whale there?

mihto

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 09 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slim wrote:
mihto wrote:

Then why have I eaten whale there?

what is wrong with eating whale?

see washing of towel thread

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive