Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
New compost bin
Page Previous  1, 2

Author 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 05 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small compost heaps -
tend not to get hot enough. I had a 'tumbler' and didn't think much of it actually. It rarely developed much heat (could be imbalanced feedstock) and being exposed all round was easily cooled.
So I built a simple box from some pallets. BUT I 'stuffed' the pallets with straw (held in with chickenwire) before assembling the box. A 'mat' of straw made an insulating but permeable 'lid'.
It rotted stuff much faster, and more completely than the tumbler.

Compost accelerators. Urine contains urea, a good source of nitrogen. But if you should happen to be on antibiotics, I can understand that that might be unhelpful to biodegradation. But I can't see any justification for male/female hormone discrimination...
In a small heap, mixing grass cuttings through the heap can be a great help, while an unmixed overdose of them is seriously unhelpful.
Seaweed. I've read of producing a seaweed tincture as a fertiliser, but is it worthwhile to simply mix in seaweed into a compost heap?
And I know I ought to plant some comfrey...

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 05 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have three plastic bins. We throw in all sorts of garden material, hardly cut the lawn so don't have and clippings. We add a fair bit of chicken litter, mostly shavings now but a good supply of droppings that get the heaps moving. I turn it as often as possible and get at least two batches a year. I don't let it rot down too much as the bulkiness is good for our dry light soil.

Rats - we have a few problems but turning the heaps helps move them on. (Humane trap and air pistol if they wish to stay). If you wish to exclude them you can try the wire mesh but the rats may gnaw in the base as they have gnawed ours. Keep kitchen scraps for the wormary.

cab

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 05 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rats were once known as 'millers' in the Royal Navy, and I gather that they're fine eating. Not that I've ever tried. Don't get them in our garden

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 05 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really want to try the grey tree rats, especially one that has gorged itself on nuts and fruit in the Autumn (not from round here as they love the fat balls put out for the birds and I'm not sure what goes into them.)

I may draw the line at rats.

Lloyd

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 05 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tree rats are yummy. Only greys though, as you rightly say.

Colin Shaw

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 05 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mary-Jane wrote:
Just a suggestion, but I'd put some fine wire mesh - like chicken wire or something similar - underneath if I were you.

R
ats can be a big problem but chicken wire will not keep them out. You need 'weldmesh' its a rectanular mesh and much stronger than chicken wire which will chew through. Since I have lined the bottom of all my bins, and about 6 inches up each side, with weldmesh the rats hve not been in.

Colin

tahir

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 05 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Colin

You may as well register

I've just emailed you.

culpepper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 05 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Havent seen a rat in years.
There are about 12 cats in our little corner of the road so that probably has something to do with it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive