Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Wines for February?
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Author 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 05 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jema wrote:

What would you say to sultanas instead? they are very very cheap in comparison.

jema

They add body, but they bring a more distinctive flavour; I often find that if I use sultanas or raisins I can taste them in the wine. I'd be cautious; besides, the rest of your ingredients (if you're using sugar rather than honey) are so very cheap anyway.

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 05 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cab wrote:
jema wrote:

What would you say to sultanas instead? they are very very cheap in comparison.

jema

They add body, but they bring a more distinctive flavour; I often find that if I use sultanas or raisins I can taste them in the wine. I'd be cautious; besides, the rest of your ingredients (if you're using sugar rather than honey) are so very cheap anyway.

Good point, I think i'd want neutral flavour with the orange blossom. I reckon i'll get this on Thursday. With my carrot whiskey I have only done 3 gallons, I figure the orange may as well be the full 5

It is quite good to be getting slowly back into these types of wines

The beaverdale kits I used to build the cellar are over £30 each, and the Elderberry in a way is a lot more expensive than that.

I will probably see what he has in stock by way of dried fruit for a decent batch of red at the same time

jema

cab

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 05 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jema wrote:

Good point, I think i'd want neutral flavour with the orange blossom. I reckon i'll get this on Thursday. With my carrot whiskey I have only done 3 gallons, I figure the orange may as well be the full 5

You're not tempted to try a small batch before embarking on a full thirty bottles of something you might not like?

Quote:

The beaverdale kits I used to build the cellar are over £30 each, and the Elderberry in a way is a lot more expensive than that.

I will probably see what he has in stock by way of dried fruit for a decent batch of red at the same time

jema

The elderberry is more expensive? How so? Presumably the fruit is free, then there's what, two and a half or three pounds of sugar per gallon, a bit of tannin and acid... How do you figure it costs more?

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 05 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cab wrote:
jema wrote:

You're not tempted to try a small batch before embarking on a full thirty bottles of something you might not like?

Quote:

jema

The elderberry is more expensive? How so? Presumably the fruit is free, then there's what, two and a half or three pounds of sugar per gallon, a bit of tannin and acid... How do you figure it costs more?

My attitude is that I'd rather have 5 gallons of wine I am not too keen on, than 1 gallon that makes me kick myself for not having put more on.
As such I have slapped on 5 gallons slightely modifed orange blossom, albeit with some out of date dried blossom I got for free.

I also got 1kg of dried Elderberry whihc is a pretty boring choice, but I do like Elderberry wine

I figure the Elderberry wine to be "expensive" in the sense that whilst a certain amount of foraging and wine making is enjoyable. It is very time consuming and that cannot be totally ignored.

jema

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 05 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just racked my orange blossom from bucket to fermenter.

Seems like it should be an inoffensive little summer wine

jema

cab

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 05 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made with sugar rather than honey, it's certainly inoffensive, but a little light. I like it with the extra body. I'd reccomend that it'll be good if well chilled in summer.

Jonnyboy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 05 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Birch sap wine? Although the sap will start to rise at different times depending upon your latitude.

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 05 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did add grape juice to give it some body

Looking for a more interesting Country wine to make now.

Though all 7 of my fermenters are full at the moment

4 fermenting, 3 clearing. As I drift more into Country wine mode, I guess I am going to end up with a lot more in the clearing phase, so probably with have to get a couple more

jema

Blacksmith

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 05 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lot of gorse in flower at the moment, anyone tried it ? and have your fingers healed up ?

Bugs

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 05 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We came across a gorse bush in flower the other day - actually, the first time I'd got close enough to one to smell it. It smells luuuuurvely.

cab

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 05 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jema wrote:
I did add grape juice to give it some body

Looking for a more interesting Country wine to make now.

Though all 7 of my fermenters are full at the moment

4 fermenting, 3 clearing. As I drift more into Country wine mode, I guess I am going to end up with a lot more in the clearing phase, so probably with have to get a couple more

jema

Grape juice ought to sort it.

How long things clear with a country wine really depends; flower wines can clear in a snap. Coltsfoot is really fast. Mint takes a while. Bit of pectinase and plum goes fast too. But yes, you need more fermenters. Will the other half let you?

cab

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 05 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonnyboy wrote:
Birch sap wine? Although the sap will start to rise at different times depending upon your latitude.

I've never had the nerve to tap a birch tree. If I had my own I'd be tempted.

cab

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 05 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blacksmith wrote:
Lot of gorse in flower at the moment, anyone tried it ? and have your fingers healed up ?

Tried it; didn't really take to gorse wine, although I do plan to try again some time. Not a great deal of it around here though

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 05 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cab wrote:
But yes, you need more fermenters. Will the other half let you?

Well she's keen enough on drinking it

jema

cab

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 05 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jema wrote:
Well she's keen enough on drinking it

You and I both know that having a better half keen on the fruits of your hobby does not mean you have carte blanche to get as much kit in for it as you'd like

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive