Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Humanely catching rabbits
Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot
Author 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 05 10:27 pm    Post subject: Humanely catching rabbits Reply with quote

A friend rents a room in a really big old house, with a not small garden. It's got plum trees (he didn't know what they were till I picked plums from them), a great old pear tree (which he and his housemates manage to pick plums from some years), an apple tree and elder trees (which my mate didn't recognise, which worries me). So if I we go down there, depending on the time of year, there's all the free fruit you could want.

But there's also abundant free protein in this garden, in the form of rabbits. All the bunnies you can shake a stick at. They drift in at night, nibble things, and wander back into the neighbouring farm fields to cause more damage.

So in principle, a visit with an air rifle would be in order. But I haven't got one, nor would I be confident using one. And then there's the issue of whether the landlord would have to be consulted firstl; I'd have thought it would be a good idea.

Which begs the question of how else we might bag rabbits in such a place. I suppose that snaring is possible, in principle it's easy, legal snares aren't hard to get... Is it humane?

Lloyd

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 05 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting plums off a pear tree is a rare old timers skill indeed!

Why not visit your local gunshop and buy some nets?...Need to check them morning and night though. You place them in the runs, where the rabbits habitually use the same place for access and egress, avoid walking on the run yourself. Take advice from the shop on setting up, according to the type you buy, probably a purse net, having set it up (wearing gloves), singe the wires with burning matches to get rid of your own smell. And check frequently.

Or use the carrot under a suspended log approach!

nettie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 05 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep this sounds familiar, I think Darren G posted a thread about nets a while back.

Lloyd

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 05 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take a looksee

Lloyd

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 05 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scarecrow posted on Dec 16, subject title Purse Nets. He had loads of new ones for sale

Jonnyboy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 05 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that snares are particularly humane,although you could rig up a dead fall. Ferret and purse nets would be the best option.

cab

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 05 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll go look at that discussion.

judyofthewoods

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 05 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snares are indiscriminate, and I have heard (from the horses mouth) of someones cat ending up with the wire around its belly, so probably not humane either. Ferreting is supposed to be humane if done properly, though I read about some disgusting individuals sewing up the ferrets mouth - urban mith perhaps? I hope so, but tend to believe it. The ferret flushes out the rabbit from its burrow, and the trapper nets the rabbit at the entrance, but you then have dispatch it somehow, and its best to watch someone do it properly, as doing it with hesitation and inexpertly can cause a lot of unnecessary suffering.

suraleb

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 05 3:16 am    Post subject: rabbits Reply with quote

why not use a box trap baited with apple

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 05 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think that a net placed well and then walking towards it when the rabbits are most active would drive the rabbits into the net and they can then be dealt with quickly.

I have no experience with dogs but a well trained one should be able to catch and dispatch a rabbit very quickly, although I can understand why people wouldn't wish to use one. Getting hold of someone with one would also be difficult.

DarrenG

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 05 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madman wrote:
Getting plums off a pear tree is a rare old timers skill indeed!

Why not visit your local gunshop and buy some nets?...Need to check them morning and night though. You place them in the runs, where the rabbits habitually use the same place for access and egress, avoid walking on the run yourself. Take advice from the shop on setting up, according to the type you buy, probably a purse net, having set it up (wearing gloves), singe the wires with burning matches to get rid of your own smell. And check frequently.

Or use the carrot under a suspended log approach!
you live upto your name dont you, setting purse nets wouldnt help at all, snares would do not singe the wires bury them for a weel, setting snares is extremely difficult to do it properly, live catch traps might be the thing for you, but then you still have to kill them afterwards, we catch plenty with traps, if you cant find one , I'll send you one of mine.
Longnetting which I spoke about earlier isnt an easy thing to learn either and also cannot be left in place

DarrenG

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 05 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treacodactyl wrote:
I would think that a net placed well and then walking towards it when the rabbits are most active would drive the rabbits into the net and they can then be dealt with quickly.

I have no experience with dogs but a well trained one should be able to catch and dispatch a rabbit very quickly, although I can understand why people wouldn't wish to use one. Getting hold of someone with one would also be difficult.
what you are talking about is longnetting, I only wish it was as easy as it appears in yr post, firstly, you need a strong wind in the right direction, the rabbits need to be feeding at least 150yds out from the warrens, and it needs to be a moon lit night, and the dog has to be able to quarter and know when to put the pressure on a fleeing rabbit and when not to, and btw most lurchers dont kill the rabbits but return them live to hand.
As for snares they are not indiscriminate if set correctly in the right place, if done properly a cat will NOT get caught in a rabbit snare, solely because of their different movement styles

cab

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 05 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarrenG wrote:
what you are talking about is longnetting, I only wish it was as easy as it appears in yr post, firstly, you need a strong wind in the right direction, the rabbits need to be feeding at least 150yds out from the warrens, and it needs to be a moon lit night, and the dog has to be able to quarter and know when to put the pressure on a fleeing rabbit and when not to, and btw most lurchers dont kill the rabbits but return them live to hand.
As for snares they are not indiscriminate if set correctly in the right place, if done properly a cat will NOT get caught in a rabbit snare, solely because of their different movement styles

As I don't know how best to set a snare to avoid catching a cat, and as my mates housemate has a cat, I'll avoid snaring. But out of curiousity how do you set a snare such that cats don't get caught?

Trapping may be the best way forward; I'll most likely be able to find such things. What should I look for in a trap?

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 05 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking along the lines that the rabbits in a garden would be more used to humans and thus a little easier to catch. Do people not use terriers for catching rabbits?

Cab, do you know anyone with ferrets?

But I'd agree, a humane trap and any rabbit quickly dispatched would seem the best bet.

How big is the garden?

cab

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 05 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treacodactyl wrote:
I was thinking along the lines that the rabbits in a garden would be more used to humans and thus a little easier to catch. Do people not use terriers for catching rabbits?

Cab, do you know anyone with ferrets?

But I'd agree, a humane trap and any rabbit quickly dispatched would seem the best bet.

How big is the garden?

Big. More than fifty yards long or so (maybe sixty or so), three quarters as wide, and surrounded on three sides by farm fields. On the fourth side is the house, a thick hedge, a little bit of yard, and then the road. Oh, and no, don't know anyone with ferrets around these parts.

You can watch rabbits in the garden from the house; you could snipe at them from a window were you so inclined.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot All times are GMT
Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive