About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Slugs
Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 05 1:49 pm    Post subject: Slugs Reply with quote

Does anyone know about eating slugs. Snales are well know for their edibility, but why not slugs? Is it because of the stickier slime. Don't fancy skinning them. There is a very large grey slug which is not very sticky, and should be suitable. Does anyone know how to remove the slime? And how do you kill them humanly (for the pot)? I did a search a while ago, and came across an article about a guy who used to present 'The Big Breakfast' program, who eats slugs, but my atempts contacting him have been unsuccessful. Oh, I would 'clean them out' first by feeding them on lettuce or such like for a day or two.

dougal

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 05 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh No!

Go the indirect route, via ducks or possibly chickens.
Much tastier! Even if only the eggs...

Last edited by dougal on Thu Feb 03, 05 1:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

tahir

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 05 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dougal wrote:
Go the indirect route

Good advice there methinks

Behemoth

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 05 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has been discussed on the River cottage website and the general consensus was a No.

They are very slimy, they contain an inner shell that needs to be reomoved, thay can carry a near fatal virus that attacks your brain and the don't tast very pleasant.

tahir

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 05 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Behemoth wrote:
thay can carry a near fatal virus that attacks your brain

Which is worse the sliminess or the virus?

Behemoth

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 05 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know, ask Kilroy-Silk.

tahir

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 05 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But he is a slimy virus isn't he? (radioactive too )

Bugs

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 05 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't feed him to my chickens though , poor critters

cab

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 05 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In principle they can be eaten, but it's inadvisible. They taste bad, they're tough and indigestible, and they're slimy. The only way I've heard of people making them edible is to cook them on a low fire till they're crisp, dry them out, and use them like a kind of flour. Still doesn't sound nice.

Haven't heard about this viral condition... anyone know what it's called, I'll check it out.

moogie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 05 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Slugs Reply with quote

judyofthewoods wrote:
a guy who used to present 'The Big Breakfast' program, who eats slugs, but my atempts contacting him have been unsuccessful.

May be the guy from the big breakfast has come down with teh virus then!

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 05 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cab wrote:
Haven't heard about this viral condition... anyone know what it's called, I'll check it out.

Niether have I and I would have thought it would be easily transmitted to snails that are eaten.

judyofthewoods

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 05 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think any animal can harbour parasites and pathogens, whether livestock, wild mamals, birds, fish, insects, molusks, arachnoids (now I've got you worried, eh?) and more. I would not eat any meat unless it was well cooked, or specially individually inspected by a vet for the purpose of raw consumption - something they practice in Germany with beef for a very delicious raw mince. Though thinking about it, don't the Japanese eat raw fish? What is their average life expectancy? They do seem to benefit from keeping their hair colour into old age (grey hair is in part due to a lack of tyrosinase, an enzime used to digest the amino acid tyrosene, and probably only present in appreciable quantities in foods containing the amino acid, so cooking protein foods deprives you of that enzyme). Mmmm, where is that chocolate.....

Lloyd

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 05 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my survival books says on the subject of slugs: "slugs are simply snails without shells. Prepare and cook them in exactly the same way as snails. Of snails he says, starve them for a few days, or feed on herbs and fresh greens to drive out any poisins. Put them in a saltwater solution to clear out their guts before cooking then boil for ten minutes with herbs for flavour. Hmm.....Maybe in a tight spot...

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 05 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madman wrote:
One of my survival books says on the subject of slugs: "slugs are simply snails without shells. Prepare and cook them in exactly the same way as snails. Of snails he says, starve them for a few days, or feed on herbs and fresh greens to drive out any poisins. Put them in a saltwater solution to clear out their guts before cooking then boil for ten minutes with herbs for flavour. Hmm.....Maybe in a tight spot...

I think in a tight spot I'd hack the neighbours arms off and eat them first

jema

Lloyd

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 05 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not my neighbour, you wouldn't!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging All times are GMT
Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive