Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
The Hydrometer
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Author 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 06 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gil wrote:

I'd get some form of nutrient into the bucket as soon as possible, to make the yeast feel at home, happy and cooperative from the outset.

As it didn't seem to be doing anything, I topped it up carefully with another couple of pints of water watching the hydrometer until it went to 1100 as you suggested. I then added two crushed B1 tabs and a little more yeast and I'll let you know if it gets going. I wasn't sure about adding the grape concentrate, wouldn't that be adding more sugar? Thinking about it, these flowers could have natural sugars of their own? My hands were very sticky after picking them and the bumble bees were very active round the plants.

Gil wrote:
It's just the first couple of brews that are most confusing, MrsF. I had a few problems when first starting to make wine, as I did not have a clue what I was aiming for, or why. Some things are still puzzling to me, and I keep learning. So feel free to ask away....

that about sums it up for me.. thanx for all your help!

gil
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 06 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So has it started fermenting, then, Mrs F ?????

Mrs Fiddlesticks

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 06 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gil wrote:
So has it started fermenting, then, Mrs F ?????

I think so.... having just seen this post, I've just had a peek having been out a fair bit today.. Well it smells yeasty and tastes a little fizzy( nice actually) Wouldn't say its vigorous yet.. How long do I give it before I worry and ask again?

Mrs Fiddlesticks

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 06 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh the plum's happily bubbling away now so hopefully that'll sort itself out.

gil
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 06 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

24 more hours before worrying, but the yeasty smell and fizz tend to suggest the ferment has taken off. Nice one. Keep it warm and it should be going well by tomorrow - bubbles visible, sound of fizzing if you put your ear to it and move the bucket a bit, stuff moving around/rising to the surface. You might want to sterilise a wooden spoon in boiling water and prod the flowers back into the liquid if they keep rising up (once a day -ish).

If a fermentation fails to establish, it doesn;t smell of yeast any more (just of the fruit/ingredients).

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 06 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I transfered mine to djs last night and it's certainly not a lively wine. I wonder if it has anything to do with the antiseptic qualities of the sage?

Mrs Fiddlesticks

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 06 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treacodactyl wrote:
I transfered mine to djs last night and it's certainly not a lively wine. I wonder if it has anything to do with the antiseptic qualities of the sage?

how long was it in the bucket for?

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 06 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would have been in the bucket for 4 days, tasted strongly of sage. It could have been left for longer or taken out sooner I've no idea what would be best but I'll either get a nice robust wine or a pleasantly subtle one.

Mrs Fiddlesticks

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 06 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not as you say an active wine, but a stronger yeasty smell this morning.

kevin.vinke

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 07 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I've just been checking my two batches of wine a plum (1020) tastes very sweet (but nice has cleared and there appears to be no bubbles at all ) and a elderberry (1010) not quite as sweet (also nice) and again cleared with no bubbles.
Both were started with a port wine yeast at 1110 in September and I racked them before Christmas.
The question is really can I get them any drier?

gil
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 07 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevin.vinke wrote:
Hi,
I've just been checking my two batches of wine a plum (1020) tastes very sweet (but nice has cleared and there appears to be no bubbles at all ) and a elderberry (1010) not quite as sweet (also nice) and again cleared with no bubbles.
Both were started with a port wine yeast at 1110 in September and I racked them before Christmas.
The question is really can I get them any drier?

I'd wonder if you could. Have found that when I start wines off at over 1100, they rarely lose more than 100 (so your elderberry started at 1110 and finishing at 1010 sounds about right). And you've racked them once.

If you wanted a strong, dry wine, I'd go for a must starting at 1100-1105, and add more sugar once the SG gets down below 1000 but the ferment is still going. Port yeast good for this, I'd guess.

kevin.vinke

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 07 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dessert wines then
They like their wines sweet here so they should go down well.
Might it be worth trying some of the plum with a turbo yeast, the sort that can take 18% alcohol?

dougal

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 07 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin, fermentation stops either when you kill the yeast because of excess alcohol, sulphur, heat, etc or when the yeast runs out of food (eaten all the sugar, so a dry result).
Different yeast strains have different tolerances to alcohol. Some are specifically offered for developing high alcohol content product. So, if you want a strong AND dry wine, one of those special yeasts is the way to go.

One possible thing to do with your sweet wine, might be to blend it with something drier...

I have read of difficulties 'starting' yeasts when the sugar content is high. So it may be an idea *not* to add the sugar in one go, at the beginning. Instead a 'feeding' approach might be used.
As a winemaking beginner, I'd be delighted for anyone to correct any misapprehensions I've revealed!

kevin.vinke

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 07 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blending sounds a good idea, I could store it and make next years extra dry.
The high alcohol isn't the main purpose (not that I have anything against it )so I think in future the feeding seems a sensible aproach.
I take that is more a case of careful record keeping then.
Thanks for the advice

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 07 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to check Kevin, are the wines still somewhere warm? If they are left somewhere cold then the fermentation almost stops only to restart in the bottle when it warms up again... Might be worth leaving them near a radiator to see if fermentation restarts before bottling?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive