Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Ferreting
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot
Author 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 06 4:15 pm    Post subject: Ferreting Reply with quote

Gotcha!!

We're looking for someone to write an article on ferreting, maybe a collaboration between a couple of you clever chaps and chapesses?

It could even be expanded into an article on the various methods of catching bunnies, and then link into the existing ones on paunching and jointing.

Sort of a 'cradle to grave' article for rabbits. sorry

KILLITnGRILLIT

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 06 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I`m just about to start as the weather has been too(?) good to start at the traditional(late)September.

What do you require?? Pics and words or just words??Moving pics??

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 06 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have pics of my recent meeting's consequence
ow
im impressed and would like to learn more please .

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 06 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pics and words please.

KILLITnGRILLIT

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 06 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give me a fortnight or so and I`ll get back to you

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 06 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good man, carry on.

KILLITnGRILLIT

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 06 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonnyboy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 06 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent, thanks. If you need any help let us know.

Azura Skye

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 06 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how dangerous is it for the ferret when he's underground? I saw a picture once where the ferret has come out and looks pretty bloodied and injured.
I keep thinking that I should be going ferreting, or rabbit hunting; because I have run out of our own chickens from the freezer and I don't really want to buy shop chicken, although I will probably have to. I don't know if I could kill a rabbit, I'd feel bad to take that rabbit away from its family, lol. But then it's had a nice wild life before being hit on the head.
Sorry for kind of hijacking the thread!

KILLITnGRILLIT

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 06 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only problem that a ferret will come across that could hurt it to any degree would be a doe rat with young or possibly a stoat,however both of these would prefer to run than fight.
If you are very unlucky,and I don`t know anyone who has,you could put a ferret down a rabbit hole that a fox is resting in and as I say I don`t know of anyone who has.

If there is blood on a ferret and it appears to be in fine fettle,then I would deduce that the "Claret" does not belong to the ferret and you have a kill below.........fetch the spade

All ferrets will come up against a stop end with a rabbits hindquarters at some time and they will get an occaisional kick.I have never had a ferret show any signs of injury in the past 9 years.
Give it a try,yes your heart will be in your mouth and you`ll wonder if you`ll ever see the stinkers again,but below ground as soon as they smell rabbit,the red mist will descend and the only ones in peril are the occupants

hedgewitch

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 06 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Azura Skye wrote:
how dangerous is it for the ferret when he's underground? I saw a picture once where the ferret has come out and looks pretty bloodied and injured.
I keep thinking that I should be going ferreting, or rabbit hunting; because I have run out of our own chickens from the freezer and I don't really want to buy shop chicken, although I will probably have to. I don't know if I could kill a rabbit, I'd feel bad to take that rabbit away from its family, lol. But then it's had a nice wild life before being hit on the head.
Sorry for kind of hijacking the thread!

Azura, it's doing what they do naturally for the ferret I think, like hounds and terriers. I am firmly on the side of knowing the rabbit has had a nice wild life. I do know what you mean about feeling bad, but I now think it's a natural thing. Happy hunters, bunny has a good life before death and no-one is eating factory-farmed chickens. Just my take, though.

hedgewitch

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 06 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should also say I haven't got ferrets, but I aspire to keep them.

JPBearclaw

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 06 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even a pet ferret will go to ground as its in their genetic make up to do so, im not saying it will make a good working ferret but it will quickly learn once it has encountered a rabbit.

Bodger

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 06 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kept them for the best part of 40 years.
Have bolted stoats and weasels and even dislodged a couple of other peoples lost ferrets.

The only real danger your ferrets face when working are idiots with guns, other peoples dogs and foxes, that can also take refuge in rabbit holes from time to time.

Going back to the 80s I had a whole series of hunting articles published in the then Shooting News, if people would be interested in seeing them let me know. They covered the then legal pass times of hare coursing, mink hunting and fox hunting.

I was a copper at the time and had to write under a pen name because I was being paid.

Azura Skye

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 06 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well thats good then, (that its rare for them to be injured).
My two don't seem super eager to vanish down holes to be honest. Not even a trouser leg.
I would never consider hunting rabbit if it wasn't for the fact that I hate buying shop meat, and that I want the best for my two fuzzbutts. Is there such a thing as 'reared' rabbit? As in, a rabbit born and bred in the same way as a chicken is raised to become oven fodder one day.
When people kill rabbits, it is a blow to the head, or a cut to the throat that finishes them off? It's one reason I don't like buying chicken because, even if its organic, it's still had its throat cut. I don't like that, a nice clean chop, or whack is better. If all rabbits are killed via a hefty whack over the head, I may just buy rabbit as I know its had a quicker death than a chicken.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive