Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Feedback Wanted
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Author 
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 06 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no doubt about the quality of your piggies, and the side we made into bacon is delicious. Having been at your place when your neighbour turned up with her van of veggies, I think one possible half way point for you would be to maybe hire or borrow a small refrigerated van once a month and do a delivery run yourself locally. That way you can spend the rest of the month with the pigs, building up your marketing, dealing with people who are happy to come to you, and also taking pre opders so on that one day you can plan an effective route and deliver the rest. You see that happening in some areas with travelling fishmongers, if you also have 'surplus' on the van, you will probably find that when you stop to drop off an order the buyers neighbours will come for a nose round, and you make a few more sales, or will decide to try a new sausage recipe, just because it is there.

Just a thought, but it might be a way to test the scope of the market in the early days. Target the local restaraunts too, get that website up to get the information about your meat out there, and see what happens. People will come back for more, we've already ordered our next pig having tried it once, I don't think that will be an unusual occurrance.

tahir

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 06 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justme wrote:
Do you plan on doing the butchery yourself? Check out courers as we cant get one to collect when asked (even with 3 days notice that we want a collection) or to deliver next day. Ok so we are a bit off the beaten track but not that far off. I guess if we had shipments going out every day it would be a diff matter.

Try a different courier, we've had no hassles getting meat in from Welsh Hook (quite a large firm) and Abraham Natural produce who probably only send out 2 or 3 shipments a week. WH use ANC, the other lot use Initial CityLink

NeathChris

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 06 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is something i didnt think of to be honest. We are looking into a training scheme being run by farming connect about processing our meat into more valuable commodities, sausage etc, but we have to do a butchery course first if we are eligable. But a once a month round trip is an excellent idea! If you want a bigger side for bacon let me know and i will run some pigs on longer . I am looking forward to my christmas pork, really fancy some chops but have none here so have to wait.

RichardW

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 06 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tahir wrote:
Try a different courier,

Tried a few but they all failed at some point (colelction or delivery). We were starting off so only sending stuff as & when. Might try again at some point.

If you do the sums on turning a whole pig into sausage it works out very good money wise.

assuming killed weight 100kg
(no namby pamby 50kg cutters you need good old fashioned baconers)

after skining & boning out you will have 66kg pure meat.
as you will be doing an minimum of 66% meat content you will end up with 100kg of sausages.

We sell ours at £7 kg so thats £700 for a full pig.
You do have extra costs of course (skins mixes seasonings fillers ect & extra disposal of bone & skin packing labeling ect ect) if I remember right about £70 would cover it (not inc killing [£15] & butchery [do that your self if you have the skills & place to do it] ).

Justme

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive