Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
40% off wine voucher
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Seasonal and Frugal Shopping
Author 
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 06 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can believe that, I tried negotiation at Majestic for Gin to see if I could avoid getting my Gin for Sloe Gin from a supermarket, they wouldn't come close to a supermarket price though

cab

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 06 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its all about shopping smart when theres an offer like this. Buying any old crap because its a little bit cheaper isn't really worthwhile, but if the shop has some good wines that turn out to be cheaper because of this then its well worth investing in a few bottles. Its only a little bit cheaper than the three for the price of two offer that they've got on, but still, if its a wine that you rekon will last well or improve with age, now is the time to stock up.

ros

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 06 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sainsbury's have 25% off if you buy six bottles, think it might end today??

Had an organic Shiraz from them that wasn't too bad and had already been discounted before the offer.

Now, I've been buying more French wine recently, thinking tht I was saving food miles, but I've been told that Oz wines are better environmentally because
1) They ship them in large tankers and bottle them here
2) the yields are naturally higher in Oz, they farm almost organically anyway
3) they use less aditives making the wine
4) the big vinyards have "green" policies (eg Banrock Station)

please can anyone confirm or deny any of the above

Jb

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 06 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before people dash off to Threshers...

There was an item on radio 4 on friday which pointed out that even without the 40% discount voucher Threshers have a 3 for 2 offer on all wines anyway and their non discount prices are high enough that even with 40% off they may still not be competitive. Their conclusion was that the release of the 40% discount vouncher might not be enitrely accidental but could instead be a rather ingenious example of viral marketing.

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 06 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ros wrote:

Now, I've been buying more French wine recently, thinking tht I was saving food miles, but I've been told that Oz wines are better environmentally because
1) They ship them in large tankers and bottle them here

Nope, it's nearly all bottled in Australia.
Quote:
2) the yields are naturally higher in Oz, they farm almost organically anyway

Nope. And irrigation in areas like MIA where a lot of the bulk stuff comes from is causing massive problems with salinity levels.
Quote:
3) they use less aditives making the wine

Not true either, they adhere to pretty much the same standards as everybody else. There's very little apart from sulphite added to wine anyway.
Quote:
4) the big vinyards have "green" policies (eg Banrock Station)

Hmmph. Policies are one thing, actions another. There was certainly a point at which Southcorp (Penfolds etc.) had the worst environmental record of any Australian company. You'd hope that they've cleaned up their act.

Quote:
please can anyone confirm or deny any of the above

I think that covers it.[/url]

doctoral

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 06 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

... covers it for me - I don't like any New World wine I have drunk to date - the best around at the moment for value seem to be the Eastern European Merlot's (they don't have that overbearing fruitiness common especially with the Ozzie wines).

ros

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 06 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your answers, pretty comprehensive I think!

I love many of the Hungarian red wines, why can't we get the good ones here?

thos

Location: Jauche, Duchy of Brabant (Bourgogne-ci) and Charolles, Duchy of Burgundy (Bourgogne-ça)
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 06 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sean wrote:

There's very little apart from sulphite added to wine anyway.

I have noticed that quite a lot of the wine I buy says 'contains sulphites'. What does this do, and is it pukka?

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 06 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sulphites prevent fermentation occurring and are probably fairly essential to stabilize all but totally dry wine.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Seasonal and Frugal Shopping All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive