Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
moving abroad
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 07 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pricey wrote:
Have a look at Portugal, the people are very friendly, and the country is just to die for.

Deffo

MarkS

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 07 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suomi

where abouts are you in Finland?

I must say I would love to go back. At the moment though we are shopping for somewhere in France, which is a bit more accessible from the uk. I have taken the ferry to Norway but its a long journey.

I would like one day to go round the Baltic, so many interesting places. Plus I have never seen a decent display of the northern lights, which I would like to.

boisdevie1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 07 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say look into it VERY carefully. In most of Europe I suspect that if you can't talk the language then you have NO chance of making a living. I'm not trying to put you off but research very very carefully. Just because it's another country it doesn't automatically mean that it's easy. In fact with language and cultural differences it can be many times more difficult.
I've been living in France for 6 years. My French is very good. I can't find a half way decent job here thanks to the terrible state of the local economy. That's why I'm off to the UK tomorrow to work. And I could name lots of other brits in France who do the same.

MarkS

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 07 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, fortunately I wont need to make a living - which makes things easier!

Although I have in the past worked for a couple of French IT companies (do Groupe Bull still even exist?) and Alstom.

suomi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 07 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mark,

we are about 360km northEast of Helsinki. 12km north of Savonlinna,right amongst the lakes.. at present we have a small house on just over a hectare, however we are looking at another property that has 13 hectares. so plenty of room for animals and growing veg. and a larger house for people to stay in. we are trying to encourage more english people to come to finland, dispel the many myths!!
So welcome at any time Ryan air now fly into Tampere and from thewre its train or bus straight to us. its also fun to travel overland from the uk,train or euro lines coaches.

Douglas in Transilvania

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 07 9:29 am    Post subject: How about trying transilvania Reply with quote

Transylvania has lots to offer to downsizers. We are trying to attract people to come here. Our website is up and running (just). www.liltrans.co.uk. It may not be too easy at first. but the rewards for those who persevere may be great.

jayemen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 07 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: moving abroad Reply with quote

Emuchops wrote:
We presently live in Pembrokeshire but wet weather getting partner down. I'm looking for any advice on re-locating abroad-not sure which country.
We have no children - partner is a nurse. We have no other languages.
Can anyone make a recommedation on good places to live-not too expensive-all comments appreciated-thanks

hi just joined downsizer we moved to Normandy France 6 months ago it is wondweful jayemen

tahir

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 07 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought you might be J A from Yemen

Welcome aboard.

jean

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 07 10:35 am    Post subject: moving abroad Reply with quote

I would strongly advise anybody who is thinking of moving to europe to spend some time in the country where they are thinking of going try and Rent first before you buy and don't beleave everything the estate agents tell you. If you by a finca with a casa on it Make sure it is Legal,see all the paperwork for the house, friends of ours bought land with a small casa for reform. rebuilt the house 5yrs ago and have now been told to demolish it.

Douglas in Transilvania

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 07 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: moving abroad Reply with quote

jean wrote:
I would strongly advise anybody who is thinking of moving to europe to spend some time in the country where they are thinking of going try and Rent first before you buy

We are currently buying property in Transylvania, which will be rented to downsizers who are thinking of moving here. We are involved in negotiations to buy traditional houses which are currently empty. We speak the language and have a lawyer and accountant we trust. The properties generally have very complicated inheritance rights and for this reason noone is prepared to touch them. We are trying to sort these out (a process of years in some cases) so the property can be rented completely legally. We will help renters to buy their own property if they come here and want to stay. If you think you might want to move to Transylvania in a couple of years time get on our mailing list through our website. We are doing this to save traditional buildings and preserve the 'peasant' low impact lifestyle.

Went

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 07 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asturias in Northern Spain is a great place with all year round temperate climate and cheap land. The language may be a problem though unless you are prepared to learn Spanish - saying that, the people are great and will welcome you if you try and speak their language and join in their customs and traditions.

catalyst

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 07 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, central portugal is the best... no nuclear, unspoilt landscape, cheap smallholdings normally with decent water supplies, shopping is relatively cheap, people are friendly...
and so on...

check out:
www.pureportugal.co.uk

Green Man

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 07 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would get into N.Z.with your wife's qualifications I think. (property has boomed in last year)

wellington womble

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 07 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double check if your wife can register as a nurse in NZ. They often have quite strict rules about who qualifies for medical registration outside the EU (where you can register even you are a load of rubbsih and barely speak english, I find!) I can't remember which way round it is - I think NZ is easier than Aus (which is really hard for Physios trained here - a lot of new juniors have tried to go over cos of the employment crisis over here. Actually, I think to go to NZ you have to worked in a paid position here for a year, but Aus is a lot harder. Could be wrong - I've never considered the possibility myself)

Oh - Italy would get my vote, but I don't really do heat very well, so I don't think we're likely to get further than planning to downsize abroad over a glass of wine at the end of particularly long and tiring day!)

Vanessa

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 07 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: moving abroad Reply with quote

Douglas in Transilvania wrote:

The properties generally have very complicated inheritance rights and for this reason noone is prepared to touch them. We are trying to sort these out (a process of years in some cases)

Surely this is a very good reason why NOT to move to Transilvania?!! If the inheritance laws are that complex, who in their right mind would choose to have assets there?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Downsizing abroad All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive