Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Cereals made with British wheat? Dolphin friendly tuna?
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Seasonal and Frugal Shopping
Author 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 07 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northern_Lad wrote:
bagpuss wrote:
Northern_Lad wrote:

That stuff in cans is not tuna - I'm not sure exactly what it is, but is sure as heck isn't anything that tastes like tuna.

It doesn't taste like fresh tuna but it does taste good!

What!? Have you had a tastebud bypass? It's vile; people even resort to mushing it with mayonaise to disguise the flavour.

no, its lovely, with pasta and pesto, great stuff no mayonaise needed, you know there are some people round here (not me I might add) so open a tin add pepper and eat it like that!

judith

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 07 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuna is one of the few things that I prefer canned to fresh.

AdventureGirl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 07 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why on earth do we produce so much cereal but use imported stuff to make our breakfast cereals?

The kids have just started eating porridge, but don't want it every day, hence the need for some simple cereals. We've always gone for the simplest ones with little or no added sugar, salt etc. I do make an toasted oaty cereal for myself but they aren't interested in trying that.

The Pertwood cereals look nice, but don't really match what I am looking for.

Oh well, persevere with the porridge and try to get them interested in other traditional breakfasts like boiled eggs and toast.

Didn't realise there was a big issue with dolphin friendly tuna. The Waitrose variety claims to take the marine environment into account rather than just dolphins so maybe that is my best bet.

I reckon tuna sarnies need to be made with tinned tuna, just as bacon butties need nasty white sliced shop bread to taste right!

Thanks for all the advice as usual

RichardW

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 07 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdventureGirl wrote:
Why on earth do we produce so much cereal but use imported stuff to make our breakfast cereals?

Same reason most flour is made from imported grains. Ours is low grade. We just dont have the right weather to grow good stuff. Compared to USA & Canada (& otherplaces) we dont grow squat.

Justme

Northern_Lad

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 07 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justme wrote:
Same reason most flour is made from imported grains. Ours is low grade. We just dont have the right weather to grow good stuff. Compared to USA & Canada (& otherplaces) we dont grow squat.

I'd take issue with calling it 'low grade' - everything's got it's own use - ours is good for biscuits due to the low glutin content, theirs for breads as it's got high levels.

AdventureGirl

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 07 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But surely we can grow good wheat for bread ... what about Wessex Mill or Doves Farm varieties? They don't claim to add any gluten to make it strong.

Milo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 07 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdventureGirl wrote:
Because collectively we are stoopid / misguided / deluded.

Some people, and all of the tuna, would strongly recommend tuna-friendly tuna.

countryman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 07 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doves farm Bio Biz- a weetabix alternative is(it claims 100%) made from UKwheat. Much nicer than Weetabix too

jamanda
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 07 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

countryman wrote:
Doves farm Bio Biz- a weetabix alternative is(it claims 100%) made from UKwheat. Much nicer than Weetabix too

It could hardly be worse!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Seasonal and Frugal Shopping All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive