Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
My new site. PLEASE VOTE
Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice

Which logo
Tahir - Green with Gold writing
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Tahir - Beige with Grey writing
15%
 15%  [ 2 ]
Tahir - Beige with Green writing
53%
 53%  [ 7 ]
Tay
23%
 23%  [ 3 ]
Young Blacksmith
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 13

Author 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 07 9:56 pm    Post subject: My new site. PLEASE VOTE Reply with quote

I have decided to concentrate on one item.
Cider presses.
Not quite finished the site yet, I need to work out individual prices and postage costs for each part.
I intend to sell one a month on eBay, and depending on sales, advertise in a "country" magazine... smallholder or similar.
Please let me know what you think, good or otherwise. I value your comments.
https://www.freewebs.com/country-crafts/index.htm
Many thanks, Dave

Last edited by Blacksmith on Tue Mar 06, 07 10:21 am; edited 1 time in total

Cathryn

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 07 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good plan. I have just had a quick look - first comment - do you need Country Crafts twice and the green of the second one is wrong with the first. Another quickie - could you bear to rephotograph in particular the fruit pulp outside one as my eye is drawn by the things behind it (the bench and the blue container).

However the bottom line is that the press looks good - strong, well made and "clean" looking. (Maybe work on the same "look" to the site? Clean lines simple, straightforward.)

Have you made yourself a little metal stamp that will idnetify you and your contact details on each press?

monkey1973

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 07 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Ruby. You need to lose the second (green) 'country crafts'. Otherwise, its clear succinct and to the point. A bit like me.

Nick

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 07 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Offer the plans, with no postage, by email, too. I got a much, much bigger take up with those.

And, in the Make It Yourself section, it looks like you need a ton of industrial tools. If that's the case, fine. If it's not, and a regular saw, drill and hammer will do, then say that. Everyone has those, and it's much more accessible. My plans sold exactly as well for £1.99 as for a fiver, so price flexibility is huge.

And, show some pictures of the cider you've made.

For no extra hassle, you can include a decent guide/recipes for making cider, free of charge. Then you've supplied a cradle to grave approach. If you want these, and don't have them, let me know. I'll email you a copy (Only £1.99! )

Blacksmith

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 07 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that folks ! I was planning on using a modified version of the green logo as my "trader" advert on here, bit more work to do though.
I hadn't noticed the clutter in the background till you mentioned it ! Will take some more on my next pressing.
Good points Nick, will take some more using hand tools. (I just dislike avoidable effort )
Cheers !
Dave

Nick

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 07 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blacksmith wrote:

Good points Nick, will take some more using hand tools. (I just dislike avoidable effort )

Everyone does, but big, industrial power tools will be scary or unavailable to people who need to buy those plans. Show it being made with a Swiss Army penknife, and it'll sell like hotcakes.

Blacksmith

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 07 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nickhowe wrote:
Blacksmith wrote:

Everyone does, but big, industrial power tools will be scary or unavailable to people who need to buy those plans. Show it being made with a Swiss Army penknife, and it'll sell like hotcakes.

Whittle your own cider press !

VSS

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 07 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a tip for your website: I wouldnt recommend having a visible counter. If your site is new, or struggling to generate traffic, its better if only you know that instead of the world and his dog!

Try this lot -
https://www.statcounter.com

They offer and invisible counter abd you can analyse traffic to your site in private. Free for small site too.

https://www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

Tradbritfowlco

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 07 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea, I think the site looks fine but i don;t know much about making things liek that and cider pressing etc - so a section about 'the hsitory of cider and why its brilliant and you should make some coz its so easy and great' would be perfecdt for me and those of my ilk. I'm happy to trade links when my new website's up and running if you like?

Your brothers cards are soooo incredibly funny, way funnier than what you see in the shops, brilliant - please tell him i said that from one artist to another!!!

Blacksmith

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 07 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback ! Agree with the counter thing.
One thing I had not considered was "seasonality". Lot of intrest in presses in the Autumn.... not a lot since Christmas.
I have recently purchased a wood turning lathe and at present making some spinning/weaving items, (niddy noddies, nostapinnes , threaders, drop spindles etc)
I have also made a book press, some display stands as well as my Ornamental ironwork (boot scrapers, welly boot stands, weather vanes etc)
Will "neaten up" the site and put some other items on.
(Will pass your comments on to Clive )

RichardW

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 07 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your selling so your a company get a pukka website name / domain / hosting. Dont use freeby hosting as its looks "cheap" for selling from.

Justme

PS instead of posting the plans make them as a PDF & then you can email to buyers. You can then charge slightly more for them.

Blacksmith

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 07 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justme wrote:
Your selling so your a company get a pukka website name / domain / hosting. Dont use freeby hosting as its looks "cheap" for selling from.

Justme

PS instead of posting the plans make them as a PDF & then you can email to buyers. You can then charge slightly more for them.

Have been having a play with the features on Freewebs. As this project has to be self financing, any profit will be used to purchase a website et al.
During the meanwhilst....... have a look, turn your volume up LOUD and join in !!!!

tahir

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 07 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tried to visit, killed my session in Firefox.

Blacksmith

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 07 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhhh, thats a bad thing. Is it because it asks to run activeX ?

tahir

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 07 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blacksmith wrote:
Ahhhh, thats a bad thing. Is it because it asks to run activeX ?

Maybe, dunno.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice All times are GMT
Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive