Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Finding a market for your product abroad
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Author 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 07 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craft fairs and shops are fine but they cost big money in one way or another (fairs take a lot of time to organise and pay for, shops take a hefty percentage). I wonder, would it cost so much to get a part of your site translated into another language? Then add some tags so you're found easily and see how it goes.
If you'd like to try this in French let me know and I'll talk to my OH.
Good luck with the project.

Stacey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 07 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - the expat forum look interesting.

I tend not to sell much via the site - whether it's because people need to see the stuff in the flesh or whether it's just that I don't market it properly I don't know. I might try to get a list of crafts galleries in germany and try to contact some of them somehow. Thanks for the offer of help with translation - I'll definitely bear it in mind.

sneeuwklokje

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 07 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking more in terms of craft fairs and exhibitions that are already set up - Stacey doesn't need to reinvent the wheel and be out a whole heap of money, if these things are already set up? Plus, it would be a good way for her to see what's already on the market there; hence the R&D side of things.

Stacey:
sometimes these things take time to build, so it might not be down to anything that you are not yet doing?

Your bag looked beautiful by the way. I still maintain you've got a signature product in the way that say, Debbie Bliss colourways are practically recognisable as her stuff; likewise with Mr.Fossett. I think you have the potential to do well. I wish I could afford to buy one. Or two. .

I do however, wish you much luck with your venture.

tigger

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 07 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you need any Italian translating, I'm here

Stacey

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 07 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sneeuwklokje wrote:
I was thinking more in terms of craft fairs and exhibitions that are already set up - Stacey doesn't need to reinvent the wheel and be out a whole heap of money, if these things are already set up? Plus, it would be a good way for her to see what's already on the market there; hence the R&D side of things.

Stacey:
sometimes these things take time to build, so it might not be down to anything that you are not yet doing?

Your bag looked beautiful by the way. I still maintain you've got a signature product in the way that say, Debbie Bliss colourways are practically recognisable as her stuff; likewise with Mr.Fossett. I think you have the potential to do well. I wish I could afford to buy one. Or two. .

I do however, wish you much luck with your venture.

Thanks

There's a feeling amongst the arts & crafts community that selling direct via fairs can sometimes cost as much in time taken out/accommodation costs etc as the galleries commission. Maybe that's what was being referred to? I worked out that to reach my break even point I have to sell 444 items at my average profit margin at fairs (taking all costs into consideration) and 750 items via a gallery/retail outlet selling at a 40% commission (though it's more usually 60 - 100% mark up the galleries take) I would certainly consider travelling abroad to research selling opportunities (would that be an allowable expense? ) and feel that people in Europe are much more appraciative of how much something hand made costs to produce whereas we in the UK are being drip fed cheap third world imports. I think it's great that these projects are set up to support women in developing countries but as a maker I feel it gives the consumer a false idea of the true value of handmade items.
Gosh, it's a bit early - haven't even had my 1st cuppa and I'm waxing lyrical

Stacey

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 07 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tigger wrote:

Thanks tigger I think the Italians are probably a little too stylish to wear my outlandish stuff aren't they?

tigger

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 07 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stacey wrote:
tigger wrote:

Thanks tigger I think the Italians are probably a little too stylish to wear my outlandish stuff aren't they?

Have a look at Missoni's stuff. He's one of Italy's top designers

sally_in_wales
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 07 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stacey wrote:
I would certainly consider travelling abroad to research selling opportunities (would that be an allowable expense?

Yes it is, a friend of mine is an Incense trader and buys direct from the producers in person to make sure he gets the qualities he demands, all his overseas trips tend to end up fully deductable apart from any sightseeing elements.

sneeuwklokje

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 07 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I see.

heh, it's good to wax lyrical.

MarkS

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 07 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/layer?topicId=1073858802&r.s=m

Stacey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 07 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mark

Finding the outlets to start with seems to be the first problem.

MarkS

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 07 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesnt that cover it ? I never bothered to read it all

They used to subsidise you to go to foreign trade shows/cultural events, I suppose government cutbacks have reduced the funding available etc etc.

tbh for small producers I would try and sort out things in the uk first. Unless you have good reason to think you can make lots more selling out of the uk, then the extra hassle of targeting foreign sales with issues about research, contacts, clearing payments, delivery, translation, etc would seem a serious distraction from the uk market.

perhaps a co-operative venture of some sort ?

Maxwell Smart

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 07 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stacey wrote:

There's a feeling amongst the arts & crafts community that selling direct via fairs can sometimes cost as much in time taken out/accommodation costs etc as the galleries commission.

Then don't sell it as an arts & craft item.

I would suggest you contact the UKTI and get them to put you in touch with an overseas trade organisation. They will have a list of accredited trade fairs. If you participate in one of these then you are eligible to get a supporting export grant of £1800. That should cover a large chunk of your expenses.

There is a maximum use limite of three times - so choose wisely. They will tell you whether you are accepted prior to the fair so you can decide whether to spend the money or not.

Also German fairs are much much cheaper than in the UK. If you have or can borrow a camper van then you really don't have many expenses.

But MarkS is right - sort out the UK first.

Good Luck.

tahir

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 07 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting Maxwell, I think it'd be good to see you commenting on Stacey's thread about profits/markup too if you have the time.

Nick

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 07 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maxwell Smart wrote:

Also German fairs are much much cheaper than in the UK. If you have or can borrow a camper van then you really don't have many

I have no idea about your market, but in mine, trade fairs in the UK are a dead loss. People don't consider them a great thing. In Germany, however, they are the first choice for buyers to see new things. Yep, very different markets for our products, but it may be similar. Germany may be worth a punt, and it's a fabulous place to visit. (and, they all speak English).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive