Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Price of Chicken in Supermarkets
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Seasonal and Frugal Shopping
Author 

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 07 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toscos were selling organic breasts for over £6 a pair but I picked some up in the flogitoffsellbydate section for £3.

hamster

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 07 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the same for eggs! It was £1.40-£1.50 for 6 free range eggs at Tesco/Sainsbury's last time I went, but buying them from M&S (usually more expensive) only costs 99p, the farmer's market it's £1 and the local market is 78p.

Yet, at the same time the supermarkets are selling 15 battery eggs for about £1 (or maybe less). It seems mind-boggling, that they can simultaneously create artificially low and artificially high prices for the same product. I sometimes wonder if they deliberately overprice the organic and free range produce to put the majority of shoppers off buying it, so they can carry on with the cheap (and cruel) production because 'that's what people want'.

But that, of course, would be very cynical.

dpack

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 07 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i enjoy eating chicken and will pay for a proper one if i can find one
locally , direct from the producer is best
pay for quaility or buy the cheapest or grow your own .

gil
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 07 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a predicted shortage of free-range eggs and poultry in the wake of bird flu possibility.

In addition, there is currently a serious shortage of organic poultry and livestock feed, because not enough UK arable farmers converted to organic to keep pace with the number of organic livestock farmers. Feed therefore has to be imported, but there's a shortage of that too.

Shortage of feed leads to higher feed prices, leads to higher prices for the consumer

Fee

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 07 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpack wrote:
i enjoy eating chicken and will pay for a proper one if i can find one
locally , direct from the producer is best
pay for quaility or buy the cheapest or grow your own .

price doesn't always reflect quality
never buy the cheapest if that means battery
no room to grow my own

Green Man

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 07 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hamster wrote:
It's the same for eggs! It was £1.40-£1.50 for 6 free range eggs at Tesco/Sainsbury's last time I went, but buying them from M&S (usually more expensive) only costs 99p, the farmer's market it's £1 and the local market is 78p.

Yet, at the same time the supermarkets are selling 15 battery eggs for about £1 (or maybe less). It seems mind-boggling, that they can simultaneously create artificially low and artificially high prices for the same product. I sometimes wonder if they deliberately overprice the organic and free range produce to put the majority of shoppers off buying it, so they can carry on with the cheap (and cruel) production because 'that's what people want'.

But that, of course, would be very cynical.

Remember millions and millions of imported free range/organic eggs sold in some supermarkets have been proven to be no such thing, in fact they are from battery cages smaller than allowed here and fed on cheap non organic poltry feed. I'm sure M&S's expensive eggs are more likley to be the real thing, not so sure of Tesco though.

Behemoth

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 07 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thus proving the need for strict regulation of farming by such bodies as Defra etc.

Personally I go for the free range ones with Yorkshire in the address.

Welsh Girls Allotment

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 07 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have switched to buying my eggs from my local pet shop, 75p for half a dozen free range eggs, when supermarkets charge almost £1 for barn eggs I was suprised to get such a good deal from a small independant supplier - by asking the shop owner I even know the farm and the farmer the eggs come from winners all around

Green Man

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 07 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the eggs from the pet shop legal? ie size graded,and stamped with a producer's code and number?

Fee

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 07 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welsh Girls Allotment wrote:
I have switched to buying my eggs from my local pet shop, 75p for half a dozen free range eggs, when supermarkets charge almost £1 for barn eggs I was suprised to get such a good deal from a small independant supplier - by asking the shop owner I even know the farm and the farmer the eggs come from winners all around

Excellent

Fee

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 07 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, bought a whole free range chicken from my butcher for £6

Now to joint it...there's a first time for everything! Quite excited actually

judith

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 07 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just make sure your knife is sharp - then you shouldn't have any problems.

bagpuss

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 07 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

also remember if you leave meat of the carcass don't worry you can always strip if off to add to soup after you have turned it into stock

RichardW

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 07 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cho-ku-ri wrote:
Are the eggs from the pet shop legal? ie size graded,and stamped with a producer's code and number?

Sorry but they dont HAVE to be sized or graded. As long as they are stamped with a producer number (avaliable free from the EMI) (not a packing station number) they are legal. You can only grade / size eggs if you are a packing station.

Justme

Welsh Girls Allotment

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 07 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the aforementioned eggs in front of me - they are in plain brown box (recycled), and they are indeed stamped 3-uk which I presume means size 3 and that they are from the UK - (just call me Sherlock) beneath this is 5 digit number which I imagine is the producers identifier as for date that was on a preprinted label on the wicker basket I picked them out of

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Seasonal and Frugal Shopping All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive