Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
hanging rabbits
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot
Author 

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 07 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cab wrote:
Jonnyboy wrote:
What pricey said, you don't even have to pluck the breasts.

Do you not end up with bits of feather all over the meat if you don't? Although that would wash off...

Little bits, but as you say they wash off. when it stops raining do you want me to shoot one and do a quick article on it?

judith

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 07 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes please!

cab

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 07 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pricey wrote:

Little bits, but as you say they wash off. when it stops raining do you want me to shoot one and do a quick article on it?

Absolutely!

We've got articles on rabbit, hare and squirrel, but not one yet on pigeon. It would be great to have an article telling people how to get the breast off, or indeed giving any other tips on handlign pigeons.

pricey

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 07 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I will try and get one tonight, should have something up by the weekend.

KILLITnGRILLIT

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 07 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try here for all your Woodpigeon tips........ https://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?s=5f9de2909259965d57fc5a10cfa3982c&act=idx

bimini

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 07 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a TV programme (IIRC it was called 'The Bounder and the Bart') in which they took the two breasts attached to the breast bone off as one piece. (Is this a crown?). It looked like a really neat and clean way to take the best meat... can anyone explain how this is done

pricey

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 07 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bimini wrote:
I saw a TV programme (IIRC it was called 'The Bounder and the Bart') in which they took the two breasts attached to the breast bone off as one piece. (Is this a crown?). It looked like a really neat and clean way to take the best meat... can anyone explain how this is done

Will need to get another pigeon for that, I will see what I can do, I wil try and include it in the article, if I can.

sparky

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 07 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also try soaking your bunny in milk over night seems to take the bitterness out of the meet and leave that lovely bouncing bunny flavor

KILLITnGRILLIT

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 07 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bimini wrote:

Twist the wings til they come off then either stick both thumbs into the neck or(my preference) the gut cavity, then rip the back from the breast like you would a bread roll.
The breast crown will peel from the skin.
i much prefer to use the whole bird by plucking then de-breasting and using the carcase for IMHO the best stock from all birds but the majestic grouse.

dpack

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 07 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

see roadkill roast (link pixies please )for p gin recipie

Graham The Builder

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 07 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bimini wrote:

I allways pluck the breasts of pigeons and then crown joint them. To do this, cut down where the legs meet the body (but don't cut them off). Next, make an incision below the sturnum and follow the ribs until you meet the back bone (you don't need to cut into the guts). Holding the bird in your left hand insert your right thumb into the cavity of the bird and place it under the sturnum, then insert your left thumb and locate the backbone. Now prise apart the sturnum and ribcage from the backbone, you will normally find this surprisingly easy. You should be left with the crown breast of pigeon complete with two wings still attached (I usually discard the back and legs unless I am doing a stock or game soup). You will need to cut off the two flight bones near the birds shoulder blades using poultry shears or similar. Clean away any blood and unwanted tissue. You now have one very tidy looking joint of meat complete with the flavoursome skin still left on.

Mary-Jane

Location: The Fishing Strumpet is from Ceredigion in West Wales
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 07 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gil wrote:
I wouldn't hang the rabbit either. Fresher the better.
Pigeon - dunno. 24hrs springs to mind, though that tends to be how long it takes me to decide I can't be bothered plucking them whole.

Us too gil. We had some super rabbits from Pricey at the Welsh DS meet-up in Aber last December. We bunged 'em straight in the freezer and didn't get 'em out until 2 weeks ago. I finished gutting and skinning them and then made a huge 'Lapin aux Pruneaux' with them for us and some friends who pitched up for the weekend - bloody gorgeous! We've also still got a brace of pigeon in the freezer - feathers and all - courtesy of Pricey too.

Bodger

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 07 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Earlier someone mentioned a bittterness in rabbit. It's something that I've never experienced.
I could eat rabbit day after day and whilst I enjoy venison I could never face the taste of hare and this is coming from a country boy

judith

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 07 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bodger wrote:
Earlier someone mentioned a bittterness in rabbit. It's something that I've never experienced.

This is probably because you acquire your own rabbits, and prepare them in the very best way. I'm pretty sure that my main rabbit supplier doesn't "milk" them after shooting them, and it does give the meat a distinct taste. It doesn't bother my OH in the least, but I find it very noticeable - to the extent that I would rather eat pretty much any meat other than rabbit, unless I'm being noble and preparing my beloved's favourite wabbit stew.

Mary-Jane

Location: The Fishing Strumpet is from Ceredigion in West Wales
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 07 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bodger wrote:

Me neither - although I have when eating hare on occasion.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive