Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Market Towns
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property
Author 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 07 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Used to be just outside Hastings (Westfield to be precise)

Helen_A, what a small world it is. We are just down the road from Westfield, on the edge of Sedlescombe.

Helen_A

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 07 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its odd really - I've come accross so many more people in that area since we left it, lol...

OK - so are you someone I have already come accross in the past or a new resident? I reckon that that location makes you either Moat Lane way (or nearish vicaridge road) or off School Lane way... Or are you over near the Pestailotzi?

Rosemary Judy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 07 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a bit shocked at the 'Loutish' description of market towns.....

I'd avoid any town or city centre at a weekend in the evening, but, I am sure you don't want to live in the town centre so you should be fine in the town itself....

villages are in general more expensive than their local town

I also wonder if you need to rent somewhere to see if you like it before you buy, as you seem to have quite specific requirements....

Maxwell Smart

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 07 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rosemary Judy wrote:
I am a bit shocked at the 'Loutish' description of market towns.....

I'd avoid any town or city centre at a weekend in the evening, but, I am sure you don't want to live in the town centre so you should be fine in the town itself....

villages are in general more expensive than their local town

I also wonder if you need to rent somewhere to see if you like it before you buy, as you seem to have quite specific requirements....

I would of thought towns being bigger would be more expensive than villages?

Yup we are going to rent for a bit first. Heading down to Dorset this weekend to check it out. Might try and do some camping while we're at it.

Bebo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 07 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only moved in January. Other end of the village on Church Hill almost opposite the village hall.

Vic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 07 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maxwell Smart wrote:

I would of thought towns being bigger would be more expensive than villages?

Yup we are going to rent for a bit first. Heading down to Dorset this weekend to check it out. Might try and do some camping while we're at it.

Sadly, round here villages are much more expensive because of the second home and holiday cottage market - it seems that every single london banker (I did say banker, didn't I?) has to have a nice country residence for the weekends. If you're OK with an ex-council house (and sorry if that sounds snobby, its not meant to be) you might find somewhere in a village but otherwise prices are ridiculous...

Pick up a copy of the Western Gazzette or Blackmore Vale (local free magazine) as they have lots of house ads: it'll also give you some idea of the kind of things that are going on and the social life/arts/culture you can expect.

have fun!

Jb

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 07 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vic wrote:
... If you're OK with an ex-council house (and sorry if that sounds snobby, its not meant to be) you might find somewhere in a village but otherwise prices are ridiculous...

Nothing wrong with ex council houses, particularly if you can get an older one. Older council houses (particularly from the interwar years) are generally much more solidly built and will come with a decent garden.

Maxwell Smart

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 07 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vic - I hear you about the banker thing - hence why I hope a little further out....

Noticed you're in Sherborne - What can you can you tell me about it? That is up on our list. Thanks

Vic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 07 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've sent you a pm.

wellington womble

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 07 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thame, Princes Risborough and Wendover are all lovely, but maybe a bit close to London (prices certainly reckon so) I think it's about an hour, on the mainline.

Nick

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 07 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone suggested Swindon yet? Close to London, with great road and rail links, and it has many super markets.

Nick

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 07 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maxwell Smart wrote:
I hear you about the banker thing - hence why I hope a little further out....

Collective noun for a group of bankers? A wunch.

bernie-woman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 07 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maxwell Smart wrote:
A friend warned me away from Market towns saying that they tend to get quite loutish on the weekends and night...

The two market towns near us (Bridgnorth and Newport) both have a poor reputation for loutish/drunken behaviour at the weekends - which is a shame as other than that they are lovely towns

Barefoot Andrew
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 07 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick wrote:
Has anyone suggested Swindon yet? Close to London, with great road and rail links, and it has many super markets.

And many roundabouts - apparently, (is that true?). Any to match that mega roundabout in Hemel Hempstead?
A.

Nick

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 07 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.swindonweb.com/life/lifemagi1.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive