Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Market Towns
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property
Author 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 07 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barefoot Andrew wrote:
Nick wrote:
Has anyone suggested Swindon yet? Close to London, with great road and rail links, and it has many super markets.

And many roundabouts - apparently, (is that true?). Any to match that mega roundabout in Hemel Hempstead?
A.

The magic roundabout works really well, as long as you know where you're going. And don't change lanes - pick one and stick to it! 'Course, no-one else ever does, resulting in much cursing!

Rosemary Judy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 07 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we had to buy in a town, as all the villages near us with a big enough house and a decent garden were £10 - 15,000 more and that was 10 years ago.

the price differential now is more like 40-50K

I like living on the edge of a town - we are on a bus route. the schools are walking distance, the local kids all have mates on hand so no endless ferrying to see your mates, like my parents did when I was a teenager

we only ran one car for 8 years as we only needed one - Mr RJ recently aquired his dream car after years of, er, dreaming

I can walk to my allotment.....

and I feel quite happy in my town centre on a Saturday night on the odd occasion we go there - yes there are hordes of tiddly teenagers, but I remember those days with a fond smile.......

Armchair

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 07 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I fly the flag for Winchester? Easily the prettiest city in the UK ( ), farmers market every two weeks, great pubs and schools and only 55 minutes to Waterloo. You pay for this in property prices however.

Salisbury is another nice alternative - cheaper property and about 90 minutes into London I think.

BelindaC

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 07 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody has yet mentioned Hitchin (north Herts), well worth a look. Pretty market town, (market days are Tuesday/Friday/Saturday), lots of independent shops still including some good food shops (traditional butcher, greengrocer where you can get local produce, really good deli, family owned department store, proper hardware store etc). There are the usual supermarkets but smaller shops still offer competition and the high street seems to be thriving due at least in part to a very able Town Centre Manager. Farmers market too, blended in with main market about once a week, and various farm shops within say 15 - 20 mins drive (we get a sack of potatoes from one occasionally). Lots of family businesses. Local schools are really good at both primary and secondary level. Good community, lots going on. Thriving allotments on several sites (though there's a waiting list at the moment) and a well established Community Garden project which welcomes all comers. On main railway line to Kings Cross - 35 minutes on a fast train, 40 on a slow one. 35 mins from Cambridge by train in the other direction. Houses are fairly pricey at the moment but still worth a look; the next nearest town is Letchworth about 3 miles up the road, where housing is a bit more affordable and Letchworth is another good community with lots to offer (very well established independent bookshop, an indedendent adult education centre, monthly farmers market......). Hitchin serves a big rural hinterland of pretty villages too.

Maxwell Smart

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 07 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what do people make of the Cotswolds? We're heading there this weekend to look at some property to rent. Seems much cheaper than Dorset and more convenient. Of course no ocean...

Barefoot Andrew
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 07 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maxwell Smart wrote:
Of course no ocean...

There was a few weeks ago.
A.

Maxwell Smart

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 07 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barefoot Andrew wrote:
Maxwell Smart wrote:
Of course no ocean...

There was a few weeks ago.
A.

Well just got off the phone with an agent - there is a decided lack of properties available for let. The reason? All those who were under the "ocean" are letting them while their own places are repaired.

The agent mentioned 7-8ft in places.

Nick

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 07 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, twas damp. I'm still sitting in a house with no carpets and a pleasant smell of dampness....

marigold

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 07 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Horsham in Sussex is another lovely market town. Not cheap though, but conveniently betwixt coast and London. Several markets throughout the week, farmer's market every Saturday IIRC, good butcher in the Carfax. No idea about schools, but it's a fairly expensive area so I'd assume they are pretty good. Convenient for Gatwick.

mochyn

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 12 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Spam, spam, spam, spam, wonderful spaaaaam....'

When that post gets deleted people will be convinced I'm mad.

Rob R

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 12 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mochyn wrote:

I already am

12Bore

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 12 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob, you beat me to it!

mochyn

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 12 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big fat ttthhhhhrrrrrrrp! to you two luggages.

sgt.colon

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 12 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mochyn wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anwy2MPT5RE

12Bore

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 12 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mochyn wrote:

Post? What post?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive