Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Blackcurrant ice cream
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Author 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 05 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thos wrote:
... but the icecream stops freezing after 20-30 minutes when it is still quite soft. When I transfer the mixture to a container it flops a bit and when I take it out of the freezer it is solid ...
No expert, but it sounds like the bowl (freezer?) might not be cold enough, or the quantity or temperature of the mixture too high, or even that the room temperature might be higher than the manufacturer allowed for...
In that situation, its probably simplest to pre-chill the mix a little harder than you have been, so the "coolth" of the bowl has less work to do...

PS - A £300 Gaggia seems to be half that price in Italy. And I admit that at *that* price, I do quite fancy one... OK, it takes up space, doesn't take to being moved before its used and I really don't need more clutter, but I do quite fancy one.

Foghorn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 05 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a two piece stainless steel thing made by a company called Midas - it cost about £40 and was a good investment. You simply freeze it for 7 hours, then take it out of the freezer and add the mixture. It is ready in 20 mins. No moving parts, no hassle, easy to clean.

Problems with texture and consistency usually arise when the wrong amount of sugar is used, in my experience. It's usually a case of trial and error to get it right.

cab

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 05 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thos wrote:
My six-year old wanted an ice cream maker for Christmas. I know she wanted one of those children's ones you where you mix the powder with water, but I brought her a proper one (EUR20 through ebay - nothing is too good for my daughter). We are still experimenting, but have made some really awful ones.

The real problem is maintaining the consistency. I do not know whether it is because it is a cheapo machine or the ingredients or whether they are all like that, but the icecream stops freezing after 20-30 minutes when it is still quite soft. When I transfer the mixture to a container it flops a bit and when I take it out of the freezer it is solid.

Can I get home-made icecream to the consistency of the bought stuff or is that why the commercial producers add all those emulsifiers?

It'll always have a tendency to hardness when it's been frozen, but when fresh it can have a heavently texture. It takes a long time to get soft out of the freezer, but it's worth the wait. I take it out when serving the main course, and serve it after the main course has started to digest.

It helps to get the ingredients all REALLY cold before putting them in to churn, and it'll help to practice with the amount of sugar and lemon juice you need. Err on it being ever, ever so slightly too acid and too sweet, and odds are the texture and flavour will be perfect.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive