About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Soapy Weekend
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 05 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sort of semi solid, like soft fudge. It seemed to trace OK (it went just like lemon curd - same colour and texture as it cooled! Smelt like it too!), in about the right time it said in the book, and it does seem to be setting, just very slowly. Guess I'll just leave it until it's sliceable. Says in the book that I might have put in too much water or not enough soduim hydroxide. Hope I didn't overdo it with the smellies - my scales aren't sensitive enough to wiegh 2.5 grams, so I had to guess a bit!

alison
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 05 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've just sliced my tube up and it cut really easily, and I have 12 bars of soap curing now in a high cupboard. Not sure how long I have to leave them for though. a month, two?

Sarah D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 05 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually about 4 weeks, but this is obviously dependent on conditions, temperature, etc.

alison
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 05 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it would be about a month, thanks.

cab

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 05 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wellington womble wrote:
sort of semi solid, like soft fudge. It seemed to trace OK (it went just like lemon curd - same colour and texture as it cooled! Smelt like it too!), in about the right time it said in the book, and it does seem to be setting, just very slowly. Guess I'll just leave it until it's sliceable. Says in the book that I might have put in too much water or not enough soduim hydroxide. Hope I didn't overdo it with the smellies - my scales aren't sensitive enough to wiegh 2.5 grams, so I had to guess a bit!

Hmmm... Yeah, I'd guess too much water. Slice it and turn it out when you can, you'll most likely get away with it.

cab

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 05 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alison wrote:
I thought it would be about a month, thanks.

If you have an airing cupboard, it'll do well in there.

There's an old soap makers trick that I wouldn't reccomend (but I do it), which is once every week or so pick a bar up and youch the tip of your tongue to it. When it doesn't tingle or sting, it's about ready. It might still benefit from more drying, but at that point it'll do.

Bugs

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 05 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't intend to nibble soap but that sounds a handy way round my deep seated fear that any soap I make will take my hand off the first time I use it. I assume you could wait the four weeks or so and then try this test to be doubly sure.

cab

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 05 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs wrote:
I don't intend to nibble soap but that sounds a handy way round my deep seated fear that any soap I make will take my hand off the first time I use it. I assume you could wait the four weeks or so and then try this test to be doubly sure.

Wait till you think it's -likely- to be done, sure. You don't want to do this often, as even when it's done it tastes 'orrible.

wellington womble

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 05 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's definately more solid than it was yesterday, so looks like it's just of question of patience. Now it's solid enough not to run, I've wedged it on top of the hot water tank (nearest we've got to an airing cupboard) and if it carries on setting like this, it should be ready to cut tommorow I should think.

I think next time I might use ounces instead of grams, as it will be easier to get them on the nose, as it were, and I must invest in an set of measuring spoons for the smellies. My scales only go to the nearest 2 grams.

cab

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 05 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't worry so much about getting the smellies just right, it really doesn't matter. Presumably your recipe is a wee bit superfatted anyway, and as the smelly bit is probably such a small proportion of the recipe it oughtn't ruin the recipe if it's a wee bit out.

alison
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 05 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cab

Keep it in the airing cupboard for the whole month , or just to start with?

cab

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 05 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wrap it in an old towel or blanket and bung it in the airing cupboard, and forget about it. It'll be fine. Test it when you remember.

If you haven't got the airing cupboard space, leave it wrapped in the towel anywhere convenient. It'll cure, it might take longer, but it'll still cure. The only way I can think of that it can be cocked up at that stage would be if it got wet.

alison
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 05 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Cab

wellington womble

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 05 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chopped up the shampoo bars today, and am not really impressed. Still a bit on the sticky side, and a greeny yellow. Doesn't look appetizing, or smell nearly so lemony. I do know why now, though. I halved the recipe, but forgot and put the full amount of egg yolk in - presumably this is why it's a bit gungy. Hope there is enough preservative!

Had a much better result with the castille soap I made yesterday, much easier to get the weights accurate in ounces. although the goats milk seemed to go all curdley when I put the caustic soda in, it traced fine, and has now set in a smooth yellowy colour. I have shoved them both on top of the hot water tank, but will keep an eye on the egg and lemon, and chuck it if goes pongy. I've got all the ingredients hanging around in the kitchen anyway, so might give it another go and use it for laundry soap if it makes it!

Thanks Cab, I presume that the essential oils are superfatting it anyway, and was hoping they didn't matter too much. In the castille soap I mixed together a teaspoon of chamomile oil, one of calendula oil and half of jojoba oil, and put two teaspoons of that into the mix. It had better be good with chamomile oil at that price! Next time I think I'll just substitue chamomile tea for the water!

Sarah D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 05 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made my first batch of soap this afternoon; I made two small trays to get the measure of it, and I'm very pleased with the way it turned out. I used a recipe from Melinda Coss's book for the basic recipe, coloured it with turmeric and added dried organic cammomile flowers. It's now wrapped in a towel for the first 24 hours, then it's into the airing cupboard.

I can see how soap making can become addictive................

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive