links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
'Compatible' printer cartridges?
Page 1, 2  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 05 10:36 pm    Post subject: 'Compatible' printer cartridges? Reply with quote

Does using 'compatible' printer cartridges rather than the printer manufacturers own ones cause any problems? Anyone know any good 'compatible' cartridge supplier?

Deedee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 05 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only use compatibles www.inkcycle.co.uk is the best I found,does 6 colour+6 black for my old canon for £20 cheap but good and excellent customer service/fast delivery forgot to add they recycle too !!

dougal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 05 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compatible cartridges *can't* cause problems *when* the printhead (nozzles) are part of the cartridge. (The worst thing would be a leak...) So if that's the design you have - go for it!
BUT when the printhead is a distinct and expensive consumable (like some Canons) or an integral part of the printer (all Epsons?), there is a risk of blocked nozzles (streaky print) and an expensive fix.
IMHO little used Epsons with compatible inks *do* have problems. It may not be such a problem if the thing is used daily (or at least once *every_single* week).

An entirely different matter is colour accuracy and consistancy from cartridge to cartridge. Or colour-fastness (uv resistance). But inkjet print shouldn't be regarded as anything like archival...

cab

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 05 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dougal, you're a star! It's got an Epson that is likely to see intermittent use, so taking that into account (and the fact that it's only likely to have light use the cost ain't that high anway) I'll stick with a proper set of cartridges.

Cheers.

mrsnesbitt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 05 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cab speak to Silas.I know he uses Epson & compatables and knows the diference!

Dx

cab

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 05 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrsnesbitt wrote:
Cab speak to Silas.I know he uses Epson & compatables and knows the diference!

Dx

Aha! I've little doubt that Silas is likely to see this next time he drops in. Failing that, if I see him browsing I'll drop him a line.

Cheers MrsN.

mrsnesbitt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 05 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anything for fellow northerner!!!

sally_in_wales
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 05 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thoroughly recommend these guys https://www.choicestationery.com/ good cartridges, no extra postage charges and one the one occasion where I had a dodgy cartridge a replacement turned up the next day

sally_in_wales
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 05 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should qualify that by saying that I must have had hundreds of cartridges off them over the last few years- only one that didnt work well, and they are cheap! I print my booklets with them and they stand up well to use

culpepper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 05 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH bought an Epson C42 and used it for about 6 months when it decided that was quite enough thankyou and stopped printing. We tried resetting it with a program we found on the web,cleaning the ink collecting pads,cleaning the printer nozzles and eventually concluded it had just died.
On doing a search for the problem we found epsons are notorious for this.
One solution was to buy a continuous feed system which connects to bottles of ink outside the machine so ensuring the printer never ran out at all.

Silas

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 05 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use three epson printers all for different jobs. The 1200 (A3) and the 680 ( A4) both use compatibles which I buy from 'bestpriceink' and the R300 uses 'proper cartridges' brecause sometimes I need accurate and prermanent pictures, but for most uses, compatibles are fine. I have NEVER had a problem with an epson printer and would never use anything else.

mrsnesbitt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 05 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

told ya!

cab

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 05 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys.

Considering its light-ish useage, I'll kick off with real epson cartridges. I'll potentially get better colour that way, so I'll be happiest with that.

mrsnesbitt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 05 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an Epson C84, did have the C64 but that packed up twice.fortunately replaced asap by Staples!
Still looking for somewhere to recycle cartridges though.will try the one suggested above.

Silas

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 05 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

recycleing old cartridges. If you call to your local tesco they will give you prepaid envelopes to post them off in.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive