Recipes            
Latest Articles
Honey
Page Previous  1, 2

Author 
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 08 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamanda wrote:
My biggest decision will be where to put the hive.

Any chance of having it at your school? One of my old schools had four bee hives, I remember seeing my first swarm there.

jamanda
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 08 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treacodactyl wrote:
Jamanda wrote:
My biggest decision will be where to put the hive.

Any chance of having it at your school? One of my old schools had four bee hives, I remember seeing my first swarm there.

No. We have major building work starting soon. It will be chaotic enough with half the grounds out of bounds.

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 08 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides, I don't want our bees going to Bideford College, nasty rough place. Now, if we could afford to send them to public school...

Lorrainelovesplants

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 08 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When our bees forage off the rape fields (all round us) we have to take off the frames and spin them before the end of May or the honey sets in the frame. When we jar it it sets almost overnight into a pale cream solid mass.
later on in the year when the bees are doing other stuff (normal flowers, blackberry etc) the honey is a darker golden liquid.
You can decrystallise by heating (gentle heat or your honey will lose its aroma). we leave ours in the conservatory on a hot day.
Lorraine

Penny Outskirts

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 08 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sean wrote:
Besides, I don't want our bees going to Bideford College, nasty rough place. Now, if we could afford to send them to public school...

Went

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 08 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lorrainelovesplants wrote:
When our bees forage off the rape fields (all round us) we have to take off the frames and spin them before the end of May or the honey sets in the frame. When we jar it it sets almost overnight into a pale cream solid mass.
later on in the year when the bees are doing other stuff (normal flowers, blackberry etc) the honey is a darker golden liquid.
You can decrystallise by heating (gentle heat or your honey will lose its aroma). we leave ours in the conservatory on a hot day.
Lorraine

That explains our recent purchases then, from an area in spain where rape is fairly extensive - going to try and source local honey this year as it does help with hayfever etc and is much nicer tasting.

lottie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 08 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't like rape honey---although I know it's the major crop for a lot of beekeepers---I think it tastes like sweet lard---There are no rapeseed fields here , so the setting in the supers isn't a problem.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> The Apiary All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive