About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Propagating blueberries
Page Previous  1, 2

Author 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 06 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still not managed propagation, had little opportunity for cuttings etc this summer. But harvest is in full swing at the moment and here's a pic, some impressively sized berries as you can see from the pound coin. About 1lb 1oz, and there's at least as much again yet to ripen, on three plants; allowing for predation from wild and not so wild birds, and that vicious creature homo sapiens var. "Bugs", we think we'd allow about 1lb per plant, and I don't think we are growing them by the book.

Considering what attractive plants they are (flowers, branches, autumn colour, and berries), how difficult and expensive the fruit is to buy, and that they haven't suffered from anything worrying yet either, I think they're a worthwhile container plant, and likely to pay for themselves several times over.

Here endeth the lesson on bluberries, mainly because I don't know much about them.

tahir

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 06 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent, haven't managed that much from 50 odd plants, the birds get there way before we do. Will sort some protection out for next year.

sally_in_wales
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 06 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yummy. Must get out and see if the bilberries on the mountain are up to much

Tavascarow

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 06 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My horticutural bible says "best propagated from side shoots of the current year when about 4 cm long in April /May. No rooting hormone needed. Root in peat on a warm bench or mist unit".
I have just bought 150 baby bushes of three varieties which I am growing on to 2litre pot size. They cost me 60p each plus carraige,
I intend to plant out ten of each variety & sell the rest but that wont be till next summer.
PS. If you have a rabbit problem plant them in tree guards. I put in 9 last year & they didnt last two days.

Last edited by Tavascarow on Mon Aug 07, 06 8:11 pm; edited 2 times in total

Vanessa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 06 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! Great looking harvest.

I think I'd be inclined to net the crop somehow to reduce the predation by birds. Not sure how you can protect from homo sapiens though!!

nettie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 06 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Netting is a must!!

I eventually got my plants mail order from Bower's (I think), they had three for about a tenner as I recall.

deanom

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 06 9:23 pm    Post subject: Cheap Blueberries Reply with quote

In case any of you are looking to buy some blueberries this year, Parkers Dutch Bulbs sell them at £5.50 for three, or £48 for 30. I had five this year, and had a small crop from each. Only one variety (Gold Traube), so this year I'm going to get one or two other varieties, as I've read that pollination is better with two or more different types.

Tel. 01601 848 1124 www.dutchbulbs.co.uk

Most soft fruit and onion sets cheaper here than any of my other suppliers.

mochyn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 06 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="TAVASCAROW"
I have just bought 150 baby bushes of three varieties which I am growing on to 2litre pot size. They cost me 60p each plus carraige,[/quote]

Ooh, ooh: from where? I WANT SOME NOW!

We're lucky: one of our first structures here was a fruit cage, so theyl'll be going in there.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive