About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Uses for willow wood?
Page Previous  1, 2

Author 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 08 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Willow charcoal is the choice of pyrotechnicians when they are mixing their gunpowder & other mixes.
I think it is also the best choice for artists charcoal but I might be wrong on that one.

James

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 08 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tavescarow's right: it makes excelent charcoal. The thin twigs are used for artists charcoal and the open, celular nature of the mature wood makes for hot, quick burning, clean lump-wood charcoal

It was also used extensively for clogs. The wood is matured for a season, then covered with wet rags to jently moisten it before being cut to shape with a clog slicer. Becuase the wood is soft, it slightly moulds to the shape of your feet. The result is a very light, comfortable clogs. The only problem is that they ware out very quickly- the clog maker I spoke to suggested that willow clogs last 1 year if used daily (ash or sycamour last 4 years in comparison, and alder lasts 2).

Edit: with regard to Mochyn's warning regarding changes to the hydrology, this is especially a concern if the willow is growing in clay or fine silty soil. If the soil is loose and open, then its much less likely to "heave". As a rule, clay and silt expand when wet, and are more likely to slip, but sandy soil will not expand (the water sits between the grains, not within the grains), and will remain structurally sound.

As mochyn said, think a little before chopping it, otherwise strange things could happen. Clay heave is not a nice thing, and can quickly cause large amounts of structural damage.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive