About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Livestock pipedreams?
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Author 

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 08 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

This is what i would like in the future... may end up a pipe dream, but i hope not, as i can't marry a farmer, so i'll just have to get may way

Depending on the market:
If its Good for pigs.
100-150 sows commercial types, farrow indoor in a crate for 2 weeks, then are let out into a bigger pen that is half indoors and half out, up until they are 5 weeks (the piglets), then weaned, breeding stock live outdoors, fattening indoors (with access to rooting area). Also have a small herd of about 5 Large blacks same system as above but straw pens for fattening outdoors.

If its bad for pigs:
20-50 pedigree sow/gilts, 1 duroc x hampshire, 1 Pietrain boar and 1 same as the sows and gilts. Offspring are a mixture of breeds, unless selling as pedigrees. Still have a small herd of LB, probably only be 2.
Wouldn't use a crate, and would do most outdoors, and borrow the straw pen idea. As i would be aiming at a different market.

I would set up both systems to be run at high welfare standards for the animals, and be hygenic as possible. That way if organic kicked off big time i would already be kitted out

Have 2 house cows, chickens (meat and egg), veg plot and my own fields to produce some of the feed for the pigs. And if OH got his way we would also have a pedigree herd of Highlands, that would be shown.

Lionheart

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 08 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Rob R wrote:
The Chillingham herd

Ya can come and see mine any time you like (same breed genetically, it's just that the Chillingham herd have been 'emparked' and allowed to in-breed at their leisure!)

Vanessa

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 08 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

A couple of "house cows"; a couple of pigs to root around in my woods and clear some of the bracken and brambles; a "handful" of sheep.

Oh, and to be able to make enough money from the above to "get by" on

Faithmead

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 08 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

A couple of Alpaca

VSS

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 08 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

I harboured a life dream from 6 years old - sheep farming on an offshore island - and achieved it at the age of 21. Perhaps now I need a new livestock pipedream. I have to say that I sometimes envy those who can afford to keep livestock as a hobby, so I think the current dream is to cut down my sheep flock to only 100 ewes, and just enjoy shepherding them.

Rob R

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 08 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Some of mine to were to keep Dexter cattle, (Kerry Hill) sheep & Highland cattle, Call ducks... What next?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive