links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
konica minolta x50
Page 1, 2  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 05 8:00 pm    Post subject: konica minolta x50 Reply with quote

Well having spent 3 days playing with my new camera I figured I would give you guys a report

the interface seems very nice and intutitive. I think I have it mostly figured out there are several different settings to allow you to do different things, portraits, scenery, night photography, lots of sun etc. Also a macro mode and your basic idiot mode which it what I will use most of the time. It can also do vidoe with sound but that does eat memory

The interface for downloading the pictures is also relatively intutative but I have also downloaded googles picasa for an image management program as that seems like it should be quite good

attached should be a copy of one of the images so you can see what they are like

here is possibly the most accurate review I found for it

I think the one annoyance is that once in macro mode it won't let you use the zoom function

the image loaded has been scaled down from 2560x1920 to 641X458 to make it reasonble for people browsers but other than that I have done nothing to it

Jonnyboy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 05 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems a good pic, apart from the beans coming from kenya.

No zoom on macro seems to be a common feature, my fuji won't do it even with a x6 optical lense,

bagpuss

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 05 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonnyboy wrote:
apart from the beans coming from kenya.

quick note,

if I had wanted criticism on my choice of veg I would of asked for it

cab

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 05 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bagpuss wrote:

quick note,

Oh, come on, you MUST have been expecting that Ask Jema about his asparagus some tome.

Nice picture, by the way. Playing with it a bit the other day, I was most impressed by the rate that the cameras auto-focus works. Faster than the Milolta Dynax SLR's, but then there's less lens to play with so that's not surprising.

There's a slot on the front of our printer/scanner thing that is meant to take direct input from memory cards. Wanna play with it?

Silas

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 05 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Macro means 1:1 that is with film the image on the film is the same size as the subject.

bagpuss

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 05 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cab wrote:
bagpuss wrote:

quick note,

Oh, come on, you MUST have been expecting that Ask Jema about his asparagus some tome.

I guess if it hadn't come across in tone as something meant to belittle I guess I wouldn't of reacted but unfortunately it did

bagpuss

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 05 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silas wrote:
Macro means 1:1 that is with film the image on the film is the same size as the subject.

It would be nice to play with the focus though if the camera hadn't picked quite what you wanted even if you do start at the point of only being able to zoom out

Silas

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 05 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To do any real macro work you need a slr and more control. dof at close range is very shallow, so you need something with a smallish aperteur, but not the smallest as you will incur some distortion. Using small apertuers also means that you need a good light source and invariably a steady tripod.

charlie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 05 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

apologies that this us nothing to do with the camera really (but it does take good pictures!)
Bagpuss, any chance of the recipe for your dinner...it looks lovely

bagpuss

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 05 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

charlie wrote:

Bagpuss, any chance of the recipe for your dinner...it looks lovely

It was from this months sanisbury's magazine

Vietnamese-Style Caramelised Chicken

2 x 15ml spoons sunflower oil
4 skinless boneless chicken thighs, cut into large chunks
2 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
4 shallots, peeled and sliced
1 chilli, deseeded and sliced
3 x 15ml spoons soy sauce
1 rounded 15ml spoon light brown soft sugar
lime wedges, to serve

Method
Heat the oil in a wok and brown the chicken all over. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon.

Add the garlic, shallots and chilli to the pan and cook until golden brown.

Return the chicken to the wok and add the soy sauce and sugar. Stir well, until all of the ingredients are well coated, then cover and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring from time to time.

Remove the lid and allow the mixture to bubble until the sauce has reduced a little and the chicken is coated in a glossy, slightly sticky sauce.

Serve immediately with steamed jasmine rice and lime wedges to squeeze over.

It was very nice though next time I might add peppers or carrots as well as it was a little light on the veg for my tastes

tahir

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 05 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks delish, probably be even better when Cab's Vietnamese Coriander's started producing.

bagpuss

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 05 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as with most stirfrys I suspect an infinitely adaptable dish but I decided to follow the recipe the first time I did it

coriander or basil I think would go well.

adding carrot and pepper at the same time as the shallots and possible mushrooms or greens before covering.

It was wonderfully sticky though

cab

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 05 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tahir wrote:
Looks delish, probably be even better when Cab's Vietnamese Coriander's started producing.

It's growing up happily, but looks like it might be more productive with more side shoots. Do you pinch out the top of yours?

tahir

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 05 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just left it to it's own devices but it got really straggly over winter so I chopped back hard and it looks like it's going to come back really bushy so yes pinch out, it seems to shoot from anywhere.

cab

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 05 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, I'll give that a go.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive