Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
So who's going to pick our fruit?
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Seasonal and Frugal Shopping
Author 

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 08 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

toggle wrote:
yes, there is, but that isn't going to be solved by demanding that people take short term work as fruit pickers 200 miles from where they live to benefit people who want to keep prices on strawberries low while the people being forced to take these jobs get even poorer

Agree. I don't think that Tiptree jams (as an example) are going to be able to fill their picking requirements from local labour regardless of how much they pay or any coercion on the part of the authorities.

At the lower end of the pay scale it's very hard to actually to make the move from benefits to waged. We've been thinking about running a small chicken operation here, this would mean hiring someone. We know someone in the village who would love to do this, unfortunately she'd need us to pay her over £400 p.w. in order to offset her lost benefits (single parent).

toggle

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 08 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheer me up some more tahir....

RichardW

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 08 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tahir wrote:

unfortunately she'd need us to pay her over £400 p.w. in order to offset her lost benefits (single parent).

Which is a crazy situation for two reasons.

1, That she is better off on benifits than a over £20k per year job

2, That benifits need to be so high to pay for a reasonable standard of living.

If living costs were lower then so could benifits.

Surely she could claim working tax & family tax credits to top up the lower wage you could offer her & she would then be better off than purely on benifits?

Justme

PS yes the time it takes to go on & off benifits needs looking at.

OP

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 08 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

toggle wrote:
yes, there is, but that isn't going to be solved by demanding that people take short term work as fruit pickers 200 miles from where they live to benefit people who want to keep prices on strawberries low while the people being forced to take these jobs get even poorer

I certainly agree that is not the solution - propping up an industry that seemingly is no longer viable in the UK (regrettably). However we seem to have a tax and benefits regime that encourages non-employment, or makes it difficult for people to enter employment.

toggle

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 08 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justme wrote:
tahir wrote:

unfortunately she'd need us to pay her over £400 p.w. in order to offset her lost benefits (single parent).

the biggest problem is usually childcare.

RichardW

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 08 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

toggle wrote:
Justme wrote:
tahir wrote:

the biggest problem is usually childcare.

I can understand that as when the OH wanted to go back to work after the third child (other two dint need child care as they were older) it would hgave take BOTH our wages to pay the bill.

Justme

earthyvirgo

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 08 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are benefits really that much these days?
Gosh, I'm stunned that the figure can be as much as £400 a week!
How is that figure calculated ...
Not surprising that some people chose it in preference to working.

It's a long time since I claimed unemployment benefit.
The last time it was imminent, the amount I would have received was so meagre, I got a job the very same day, not a job I wanted at all but it meant I could make ends meet.

EV

toggle

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 08 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FFS.

of course they aren't getting that much in benefits. for a start, you need to take tax/NI off that.

then they have to consider the extra costs that having to get childcare would bring, before and after school care, plus full time care in holidays, plus inset days and election days etc. plus time off when the kid is ill and can't go to school/nursery/childminder. https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7214704.stm

that might give you an idea.

RichardW

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 08 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the £400 per week is when you totaly come of benifits with one child. Its not always the direct benifit but what else you get because you are on a benifit even if its only a penny.

free school meals
Free perscriptions
Council tax reduction
Council rent reductions
Free dental treatment (if you can get it)
Help with glasses & free eye tests
I am sure there are more too

Justme

toggle

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 08 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justme wrote:
I think the £400 per week is when you totaly come of benifits with one child. Its not always the direct benifit but what else you get because you are on a benifit even if its only a penny.

free school meals
Free perscriptions
Council tax reduction
Council rent reductions
Free dental treatment (if you can get it)
Help with glasses & free eye tests
I am sure there are more too

Justme

milk tokens and the maternity grant are what i've found so far, if you discover anymore, let me know.....

RichardW

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 08 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh forgot all about milk tokens.

Mind you registered alcoholics get paid extra to buy booze (or is that a myth?).

Justme

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 08 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Myth.

toggle

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 08 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

probably.

although I have been told that it's the addiction where badly managed withdrawal is most likely to be fatal.

i can now spend my milk tokens on fruit and veg as well as milk though. hopefully the boobies work so i won't need powdered stuff.

Andy B

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 08 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to the fruit picking, you didnt need to be Mystic meg to see this one comming. Some time soon the laws will be relaxed / ignored for immigration from outside the EU as a way of ofsetting the fact that this is a very expensive place to be. The value of the pound needs to drop, devaluing just about everything in this country as it does so, but that will allow us to quietly adopt the euro as our currency and fall neatly into line with Europe. Fruit growers are just an early casualty.

Stacey

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 08 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benefit rates are clearly displayed on the govt site for anyone who's labouring under the misapprehension that people claiming welfare support are rolling in it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Seasonal and Frugal Shopping All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive