Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Beginner stuff
Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Author 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 08 2:28 pm    Post subject: Beginner stuff Reply with quote

Ok, I really don't know how to do that much. What I need are simple recipies for a family. Now my children don't like spicy food and would much prefer chicken dippers and burgers to homemade food (I'm working on that) as that's what they were brought up on. Even mashed potato is a problem as they only ever had packet mash! Mine is apparently too lumpy

So what can I do for a family that is not too difficult?

gil
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 08 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone else will be along soon, I'm sure, who knows how to make burgers. I think they're fairly simple, just never made em myself.
Also I'm sure I read a post where someone made their own version of chicken nuggets.

Do yours like pizza ? Or pasta ?
How about other things with mince, like spag bol or shepherds pie ?
Will they eat tomato-sauce type dishes ? Do they like an onion flavour ?

Oh, and can you work on your mashed spuds so they're smoother ?
Mash opens up more possibilities
I understand some people use a 'potato ricer' but I'm not sure what that is - those who use one, does it give smoother mash ? Do you find them in charity shops ?
My approach would be to cook the peeled spuds very well (possib;y more than I'd want to; till they're starting to fall apart abit), drain them not very thoroughly, and add plenty of milk. And bash away with the masher.

Grimnir

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 08 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do cook pasta and rice dishes. Lasagne is a favourite of both of them so I'd like to know how to cook it properly - what dish do you use, I'm sure mine is half of my problem

Pizza - one loves it the other hates it

I do fajitas but have to spice them so mild I can hardly taste it

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 08 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Making burgers is simple. You need beef mince (either mince your own if you've got a mincer or buy mince from the butcher), salt and pepper. I like some mustard and some onion that's been softened by frying gently in butter in mine. Mix it all together and make it into burger shapes. It's a good idea to put the burgers back into the fridge for a bit before cooking them to let them firm up.

Last edited by sean on Sun Jun 29, 08 3:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

gil
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 08 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bother
did long recipe post, and lost it.
storm here.

Mrs Fiddlesticks

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 08 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think one of the big but simple things you could do is get them involved in the whole process of cooking and eating. So they help shop, prepare, stir etc etc. Get them to look through cookery books with you ( get HFW family cookbook if you can - good basic recipes and the story behind them - so he shows you how to make butter as well as ice-cream etc)

Getting kids to eat is always a bit of a trade off. Youngest here won't eat mushrooms (yuky and squishy) but they will still appear in recipes since everyone else likes them. There will always be things on the plate one doesn't like; part of growing up is to try new things or be poliet if having done so they're not you.

If you could get them to make the burgers or whatever that may well help.

snowball
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 08 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get smoother mash try this.
as soon as they are boiled drain them and put them back in the saucepan. Add a little splash of milk. Before using a masher take a small serated knife, a steak knife is ideal. Now put the knife towards the bottom of the pan and just keep cutting the potatoes. Turn the pan round a few times as you are doing it.
Then add seasoning, more milk and start mashing with the masher.
Now use a fork to beat them together. Any lumps left will rise to the surface and you can use the knife or masher again to break them down. Keep repeating until you have lovely smooth mash.

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 08 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've left out the butter. This is going to be like the roast potato wars all over again.

snowball
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 08 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it's not, I always add butter, but I was trying to be good and healthy.

chez

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 08 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judith's turkey twizzler recipe is here. I'm guessing it works just as well with chicken!

I stick milk (and butter if we have a lot spare) in my mash to make it squidgier and attack it with a fork.

We also mix things with mash and bake it - tonight I'm going to fry a couple of large onions and mix in with enough potatoes for four people, and stick some fish in, that I found in the bottom of the freezer, with various herbs - chives, probably, and parsley. Then stick it in the oven.

For lasagne, I use a big rectangular metal dish if I'm cooking for a lot of people and a smaller ceramic one for fewer. I always end up having to break the lasagne to fit, though. My most recent Lasagne Disaster was starting to cook and realising that I didn't, in fact, HAVE any lasagne. Ended up making the layers of pasta out of all the odds and ends we had in the house. It looked odd, but tasted fine.

Would they eat omlette? That's easy to do and you can make lots of variations.

Grimnir

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 08 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today we are having Lemon Chicken with egg fried rice. Chicken is Co-ops Elmwood chicken

chez

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 08 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds much more ambitious that I'd attempt - I think you're maybe lacking in confidence, rather than skills!

Jonnyboy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 08 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds nice. A potato ricer is really useful if you want to get a smooth mash. It's sort of a hand held press with tiny holes in the bottom. You pop your just boiled spuds in them and squeeze out wiggly worms of mashed spuds that can be beaten with hot milk, melted butter and seasoning into a lovely smooth mash.

Have you thought of maybe trying your kids on something like salmon? Most people like the taste and it's easy to cook, plus no bones.

Grimnir

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 08 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omelette is good for one but not the other she won't eat eggs or fish

Mrs Fiddlesticks

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 08 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grimnir wrote:
Omelette is good for one but not the other she won't eat eggs or fish

what are her objections to eggs and fish (and if they were hidden in something would she notice?) Or is it something like would eat fish fingers but not 'real' fish?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing All times are GMT
Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive