Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Compost corner - doggy do's
Page Previous  1, 2

Author 
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 05 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't most responsible pet owners keep their dogs wormed nowadays?

mrsnesbitt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 05 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is wrong with 'collecting' doggy rear end stuff ie poo.........and flushing it down toilet?

Maranne

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 05 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrsnesbitt wrote:
what is wrong with 'collecting' doggy rear end stuff ie poo.........and flushing it down toilet?

Nothing "wrong" with it apart from the principle of the "Closed loop system" ie. everything is reused within the food production process.

Don't mean to sound evangelical but I've just been reading the Late sainted John Seymour

hils

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 05 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't it toxoplasmosis which you can get from cat poo - not good for pregnant women - can cause birth abnormalities...?

sally_in_wales
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 05 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read about a special type of plastic composter a while ago that recoked it could cope with cooked food, bones and pet litter (think it was called a green cone- we did briefly discuss em here)- I think the idea was it just filtered the compost down into the soil eventually, so it was the sort of thing you'd install in the orchard rather than producing compost for the veg plot. I wouldn't have thought animal waste compost would be a problem for trees would it?

ButteryHOLsomeness

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 05 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hils wrote:
Isn't it toxoplasmosis which you can get from cat poo - not good for pregnant women - can cause birth abnormalities...?

yes that's it, you can also get it from sheep but we used sheep poo for making fertiliser liquid with no ill effects though i wasn't pregnant at the same time.

someone mentioned using human dung which is pretty much the point of an compost toilet. as long as you aren't carrying live polio vaccines or eating things you shouldn't be you should be fine using human dung. human urine is great for the composter and once again can be used in liquid fertiliser (watch out though, this stuff stinks to high heaven )

cede

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 05 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my mum has always said that when she was little that they put human stuff on the asparagus beds !

Haddock

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 05 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if anyones seen this site (I'm new here) called the Humanure Handbook. It covers human waste in a big way and explains how to compost it (explains hot composting to kill parasites), and the errors in modern sewerage systems

https://www.weblife.org/humanure/default.html

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive