Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Need to buy some cheap red wine
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Author 
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 04 9:37 am    Post subject: Need to buy some cheap red wine Reply with quote

Just looked at the wine bottle supply and it does not compare well with the amount needing bottling

A while back I bought loads and loads of a £2.50 range of wine Morissons had on offer, which was very very good IMHO at the price.

I am now after a bulk load of red wine worth drinking, at less than 3.00 a bottle. So if anyone spots a good offer please post.

jema

Gervase

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 04 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tesco (sorry, shouldn't swear!) do a 2 litre bottle of generic French country red for £4.99 which ain't bad - certainly good for cooking with and fairly drinkable too. They also do a winebox full of the stuff for £13.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 04 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Need to buy some cheap red wine Reply with quote

jema wrote:
Just looked at the wine bottle supply and it does not compare well with the amount needing bottling
jema

If you are just after the bottles you could try a local pub to see if you could collect a batch of fresh emptly bottles?

Can you get wine boxes to fill?

Lindsay

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 04 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you got a bottle bank near you? There's one in the car park behind my house which gets filled regularly so I keep an eye on it. When it's full and I need some bottles I take a step stool (I'm short) and a few carrier bags, and go and raid it. They need washing and de-labelling but it works for me.

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 04 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lindsay wrote:
Have you got a bottle bank near you? There's one in the car park behind my house which gets filled regularly so I keep an eye on it. When it's full and I need some bottles I take a step stool (I'm short) and a few carrier bags, and go and raid it. They need washing and de-labelling but it works for me.

That could work

jema

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 04 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone looks at this thread and still wants some cheap red, Safeway/Morrisons has a Cotes Du Roussillon 2003 (Southern French) red for £2.99. Not bad for the price.

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 04 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treacodactyl wrote:
If anyone looks at this thread and still wants some cheap red, Safeway/Morrisons has a Cotes Du Roussillon 2003 (Southern French) red for £2.99. Not bad for the price.

Will give that a try tomorrow

jema

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 04 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not wishing to say the obvious, but try one before buying a whole case as my tastes could be weird (although you do get the extra 5% off for six or more).

Safeway/Morrisons (S&M) seem to have a few decent wine offers on at the moment.

OH came back with 18 bars of Green and Black's organic choccy (100g) today as it's 2 for £2 which is a good offer for some good chocolate.

Perhaps we should have a 'good offers' thread?

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 04 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Safeway are worth keeping an eye on at the moment. They had quite a good wine list, which Morrison's appear to be gutting. Some of their high end kit was pretty good, so if you see it reduced to an acceptable (to you) price I would go for it.

neilk

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 04 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sainsbury's have some Chilean Merlot and Chardonnay half price at £2.99 atm, bought some yesterday. www.fixtureferrets.co.uk is worth a look for keeping track of supermarket offers.

twoscoops

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 04 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's right you know! I bought a load of the Mont Gras Reserve chardonnay and merlot at 3.99 earlier this year, and it is definitely worth the original 5.99. At the current 2.99 it is a steal. I bought 36 on Saturday and shall be going back for more!

Sarah D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 04 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you're going to make something to fill all those empty bottles when you're done, then...................

twoscoops

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 04 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have 4L of rumtoft to bottle, as well as 7L of damson liqueur to bottle, so I'm trying to work through them!

McLay455

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 04 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morrisons were doing a Spanish red wine for 7.99 a 3L box.
It was very drinkable!!

alison
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 04 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

McLay455 wrote:
Morrisons were doing a Spanish red wine for 7.99 a 3L box.
It was very drinkable!!

Can't reuse the boxes to bottle your own though

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive