Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
What's your favourite vegetarian dish?
Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Author 
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 04 4:26 pm    Post subject: What's your favourite vegetarian dish? Reply with quote

I'm trying for a veggie week this week, and I make no seceret of being pretty carniverous in taste, so I am going to struggle for ideas.

Whilst I am generally pleasently surprised when cooking veggie, recipes, few of them tend to leap out the page at me and say "cook me" in the way meat dishes often do.

So help me out here! What are your veggie faves?

jema

twoscoops

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 04 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH is vegetarian, so I eat a lot of meat free food, as I do the cooking. Off the top of my head; Small pasta shapes with a jar of green pesto. Not very adventurous but delicious and quick. Ditto pasta with garlic and sprout tops - just put the sprout tops in with the pasta for the last couple of mins, drain, and fry the garlic in the pan while it is draining - the perfect accompaniment the University Challenge. Quorn mince isn't bad for chilli or meatballs in tomato sauce, and stir frys bring out the flavour of the veg. Baked potatoes with baked beans and cheese? Also fajitas with loads of veg, using the spice packets you buy, soured cream and grated cheddar. Friday night lardfest. In season we ADORE grilled halloumi, broad bean and spring onion salad with lemon dressing. I have a very good lasagne recipe which I've been making for over ten years now, so let me know if you want it.

Convenience food we like; Tesco vegetarian hot dog sausages, with a roll, mustard and ketchup you wouldn't know the difference. Tesco cauliflower cheese grills, Linda McCartney's country pies.

alison
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 04 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not a huge fan of a plate without some meat on however we do have a vegetable en croute which is very nice. You need squares of puff pastry, which will be a top and a bottem. In the middle I do a tomato, cougette, diced carrot, mushroom, onion, peas and sweetcorn. Make up a suce, by sweating the veg and adding the chopped toms, season to taste, then reduce. Put a couple of spoons on each square, leaving a border all the way around. Brush beaten egg over the border, but not down the sides, and sandwich the top on, squeezing up the sides, like a pie edge. Coat with beaten egg and back until pastry is cooked.

It looks a bit like a pasty.

twoscoops

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 04 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And it's only twenty past five. My tummy is rumbling.

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 04 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a black-eyed bean and mushroom thing which is on NeilK's recipe resource, which is nice. Pasta with leeks, courgettes, walnuts and coriander is good.

Gervase

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 04 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love beany stews. Usually make them with a chunk of pork belly or chorizo, but the Spanish pimenton piccante makes for a nice savoury taste. Stir in some chopped cabbage for the last half hour of cooking then serve with crusty bread and a sharp cheese and you've got a lovely peasant stew that'll warm anyone's cockles.

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 04 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gervase wrote:
I love beany stews. Usually make them with a chunk of pork belly or chorizo, but the Spanish pimenton piccante makes for a nice savoury taste. Stir in some chopped cabbage for the last half hour of cooking then serve with crusty bread and a sharp cheese and you've got a lovely peasant stew that'll warm anyone's cockles.

I keep trying "Hughs" Boston baked bean with Pork belly, and I keep failing to be impressed But anyway this week I'm trying for real veggie as opposed low meat.

jema

Sarah D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 04 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red Dragon pie, kidney bean kievs, vegetable jalousie, chilli sin carne, cassoulet, filled baked potatoes(scoop out insides and mix with other bits, pile back in and brown in oven), stuffed peppers, roast vegetables, Homity Pie, homemade vegeburgers, pizza, Italian bean soup with cabbage, veg-in-the-hole (make batter with herbs and mustard added),Scotch eggs using soya around the egg and homemade breadcrumbs, sweet and sour vegetables, vegetable curries, stuffed squash............

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 04 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pasta with pine kernels, ricotta and rocket.

tahir

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 04 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My absolute favourite is home made saag with Makki di Roti (a thick chapatti made out of maize flour) and loads and loads of butter

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 04 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spicy tomatoey and chickpea sort of stew things. Put in what you've got (especially preserved lemon if you have any) and serve with couscous.

wellington womble

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 04 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheese souflee (made with whatever cheese you like best - roquefort is tasty, but I like cheddar or gruyere) Eggs florentine, spinach and ricotta cannelloni (or lasagne if feeling too lazy for stuffing) stuffed pepper (with rice and veggies and herbs (talking of stuffing!) Pasta with tomato and mozzerella and lot of herbs (and chilli) all sorts of risottos and soups, omlettes, cheese and potato pie and beans. I've made very successful chilli and spaghetti bolegnese by forgetting to put the meat in - oops (can't spell it either!)

I though I wasn't much of a veggie person either, but I cook all of the above fairly regularly, so I must be getting better. I try to have meat about 4 times a week, and chicken and fish and veggie once each. That might be easier than trying to do a whole week in one go. You will go throguh moutains of cheese, though!

Are you allowed fish - or would that be cheating?

Oh - and pizza - you can do anything with pizza!

tahir

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 04 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wellington womble wrote:
Are you allowed fish - or would that be cheating?

I donn't think there's any way at all that anything with fish in it could be called vegetarian

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 04 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, but loads of people describe themselves as veggie but eat fish. Incidentally rabbits were defined as 'not meat' in the middle ages by the church, which meant that they could be eaten on days of obligation.
Cheers, Sean

tahir

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 04 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So come on, tell me how can a fish be confused for a vegetable?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing All times are GMT
Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive