Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Contact lens fluid
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Author 
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 09 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick wrote:
It's likely to be about 100ml bottles. Not really enough for 25 demi johns.

No, but you could dilute it and use it for air locks or similar.

Gervase

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 09 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I wore contact lenses I used to make my own - four percent peroxide with a drop of wetting agent per litre. Cheap as chips and it worked fine.
My Braille keyboard's lovely, by the way!

mark

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 09 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamanda wrote:
Could you not use it for sterilising other things - wine making kit or similar.

I think most contact lense fluids are not strong enough.

Thery are mostly sterile rather than sterilising - though some contain a mild steriliser (but nothing strong enough to harm you eyes)

Its to keep lenses in overnight in sealed containers and instead of water to rinse them.

It isn't real strong enough for steriling winemaking equipment in a short time by wiping it.

Cathryn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 09 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, check if the ingredients have altered at all. The standard one that both my son and myself used was altered and fortunately then labelled as "New". We both had problems with it, stinging eyes and reported this to our independant optician. I believe that the brand was withdrawn almost immediately and returned back to the old reliable one.

mark

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 09 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cathryn wrote:
Mark, check if the ingredients have altered at all. The standard one that both my son and myself used was altered and fortunately then labelled as "New". We both had problems with it, stinging eyes and reported this to our independant optician. I believe that the brand was withdrawn almost immediately and returned back to the old reliable one.

No i have an infection - the antibiotic cream the walk in clinic gave me is doing its stuff..

Slim

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 09 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark wrote:
Jamanda wrote:
Could you not use it for sterilising other things - wine making kit or similar.

I think most contact lense fluids are not strong enough.

Thery are mostly sterile rather than sterilising - though some contain a mild steriliser (but nothing strong enough to harm you eyes)

Its to keep lenses in overnight in sealed containers and instead of water to rinse them.

It isn't real strong enough for steriling winemaking equipment in a short time by wiping it.

most saline fluids are sterile rather than sterilizing, but we're talking about a peroxide sterilizing solution, aren't we?

mark

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 09 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well thoughts on that

1) my solutions are sterile saline so don't assume al are active sterilisers

2) peroxide isn't a good sterilising solution for wine making - if you use it you need to make sure it is thoroughly rinsed off the equipment or neutralised before you use the kit for winemaking.

3) lots of contact lens solution strenths are designed for overnight sterilisation when immersed
Wine makers typically work on a tigher timedscale than this.

4) the quantities of contact lens solution are trivially small and insufficient when used for sterilising wine making kit

better to use contact solution for contacts

nettie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 09 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to the original post, I'm with Specsavers and, having had the same problem, i asked them to supply lenses only in the end and got a reduction in the monthly bill. TBH if your opticians won't change the package then i would close the account and go somewhere more helpful! You could always keep the stuff you've got and go lenses only, until you run out of fluid, then change packages again.

Woodstock

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 09 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nettie - that's really great knowing that they do it. Even just knowing that means I have more bargaining power with Vision Express. Much thanks to everyone again as well.
Loving the ideas though.

nettie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 09 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good! in this day and age, retailers really can't afford to bully their customers. Hope it all works out!

Aeolienne

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 09 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nettie wrote:
Back to the original post, I'm with Specsavers and, having had the same problem, i asked them to supply lenses only in the end and got a reduction in the monthly bill. TBH if your opticians won't change the package then i would close the account and go somewhere more helpful! You could always keep the stuff you've got and go lenses only, until you run out of fluid, then change packages again.

I'm pleased to report that Dolland & Aitchinson are also willing to supply lenses only.

hots

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 11 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a suspicion that this is about 'use by' dates.
The solution is sterile until the seal is broken, once broken the solution should not be used after a certain time otherwise there is a risk of infection.

Having said that, I used to get a backlog of solution when I wore lenses.
Gave it away on Freecycle.

Nick

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 11 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bah, man up, and use tap water. Or spit. Never done me any harm.

dpack

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 11 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im very lucky ,i could not do the lens thing

Shan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 11 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't cope with lenses until I went onto daily disposables. The acuvue 1 day silicone hydrogel lenses are brilliant. I tried the clearview daily disposable hydrogel but I found them too thick.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive