Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
New rifle
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot
Author 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 09 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

.222 is a lovely little round. Fast and flat, groups sweet as a nut.

vegplot

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 09 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A chap at the club has a heavy fluted barrel and it's very heavy, he's thinking of bringing it down to 16" to reduce the weight. Very accurate though.

Brownbear

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 09 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RiF now has my Scout and is having a great time with it. I'm still torn between a Blaser R93 and this contraption for my new .223.

vegplot

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 09 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brownbear wrote:
RiF now has my Scout and is having a great time with it. I'm still torn between a Blaser R93 and this contraption for my new .223.

The Blaser's bolt action is unusual and I've only used one once. I've never liked the AR-15 but they have a good reputation.

Brownbear

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 09 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am thinking of it so that I could compete in Practical Rifle and Service Rifle. I have to balance that against my aversion to looking like an extra from Escape From New York.

vegplot

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 09 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you looked at the FN FAL? It's 7.62 though.

Brownbear

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 09 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vegplot wrote:

Ammo costs go up a fair bit, more than double the amount of powder.

vegplot

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 09 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brownbear wrote:
vegplot wrote:

Ammo costs go up a fair bit, more than double the amount of powder.

Not a problem with field shooting but with practical rifle you can get through 120 rounds or more in a single practice. I'll ask the chaps at the club tonight what they use but I'm fairly certain they use AR-15's. The recent weekend comp at our tunnel ranges in Bangor saw over 4,000 rounds being shot.

Brownbear

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 09 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. One thing, fox shooting takes place mostly at night when all good vegetarians are tucked up in bed, not likely to see and be frightened by a scary black rifle.

Also, the Blaser is 1:12 rifling and wouldn't want to fire anything much over about a 55-grain projectile.

vegplot

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 09 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if you have to release the bolt with the AR-15 (loud) or if you can gently let it come forward in order to load a fresh round quietly. If it's the former then it's not going to very helpful in the field.

Brownbear

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 09 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vegplot wrote:
I'm not sure if you have to release the bolt with the AR-15 (loud) or if you can gently let it come forward in order to load a fresh round quietly. If it's the former then it's not going to very helpful in the field.

I think, after the noise of a .223 going off, that rechambering a round is a pretty fair anticlimax, noise-wide. I've never needed a second shot yet, anyway.

crofter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 09 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's amazing how well some animals and birds can hear stuff - the "click" of a safety catch for example

vegplot

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 09 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brownbear wrote:
vegplot wrote:

I think, after the noise of a .223 going off, that rechambering a round is a pretty fair anticlimax, noise-wide. I've never needed a second shot yet, anyway.

It's the first chambering I was thinking of but then one normally does that prior to the stalk anyway so it's a non issue. Forget I posted in the first place.

Last edited by vegplot on Thu Mar 19, 09 9:53 am; edited 1 time in total

vegplot

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 09 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No-one was at the clucb last night who odes the practical rifle so no answers I'm afraid.

On a different note (almost a thread hijack) I tested some new powder (for me that is) in my .357mag Marlin under lever. I normally use Bullseye as it's clean burning and economic. However, our local gun dealer ran out of it and gave me a lecture in the risks of accidentally double filling a case. They recommended Titegroup, which i had read good reports of, so bought some. I discovered it have a higher density than Bullseye so their warning of double filling was nonsense (I can actually fit 5 charges of Titegroup in a case compared to 4 of Bullseye).

I digress. I made up several loads ranging from 3.6 to 5 grains and found that 4.6 grains was ideal yielding a five round one hole group at 25 yards. Needless to say I'm very pleased with this result and will make this my 'standard' powder for this calibre and discipline. Earthyvirgo ran some tests and she came to the same conclusion.

vegplot

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 09 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I applied for a variation for a .223 less than a couple of weeks ago. This morning my new FAC flopped through the letter box. No questions asked an no visit required. Things have certainly improved with the firearms registry of NWP.

I'm getting a Steyr AUG.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive