Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Raw Milk
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Seasonal and Frugal Shopping
Author 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 10 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jersey milk is truly a milk apart.

wellington womble

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 10 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops, just seen this thread. I'll see if I can merge them.

Rob R

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 10 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got an e-mail from Big Barn with the following in:

Quote:
Raw milk, dangerous or medicinal

The story of raw milk may sum up the food industry. The Food standards agency say it is dangerous, whilst many others, including some scientist, say it is the only milk to drink. Read on and we welcome your feedback.

Raw milk is fresh from the cow, cooled and has a shelf life of about a week. All of the milk in the shops is pasteurised and or homogenised and lasts for about 3 weeks.

Raw milk is said to cure many allergies, including eczema, and can be made in to cheese or yoghurt as it sours naturally. Other milk last for 3 weeks and if not consumed turns putrid.

Pasteurising means heating the milk to kill any bugs and homogenised means passing the milk through tiny holes at pressure to emulsify the fat in to tiny bubbles. This means the fat stays in the liquid and does not separate with the cream rising to the top.

Pasteurisation ALSO; destroys enzymes, denatures anti-microbial and immune stimulating components, diminishes nutrient availability, denatures fragile milk proteins, destroys vitamins C, B6 and B12, kills beneficial bacteria, promotes pathogens and is associated with allergies, increased tooth decay, colic in infants, growth and behavior problems in children, osteoporosis, arthritis and heart disease. www.realmilk.com

So why is raw milk banned in Scotland and only available in this country direct from the farmer? A dairy farmer is not even allowed to sell his raw milk to a local farm shop!

This a classic UK ‘food industry’ fix for the milk industry. Ignore the positive effects of raw milk and enforce pasteurisation.

This means that small dairy farmers cannot poison anyone, increase shelf life of all milk to allow a longer supply chain and make milk a commodity to reduce price, and stop people making their own cheese and yoghurt.

All very interesting, and why I am signing up raw milk producers to sell through our MarketPlace. I will be buying in bulk and freezing some for later use, and hope to see the slight rash on my right arm disappear. We of course, welcome your comments below.

Comments:

Marion Fordy says:

Great article and typical of this nanny state. Did you know we spend £180m on health and safety compared to £0 in France.

I am worried that the fat bubbles in homogenised milk are like hydrogenated vegetable oil and actually pass through the intestinal wall in to the blood. All leading to heart disease and skin problems. Why can’t we just have natural food and drink! Please encourage more dairy farmers to sell their raw milk.

Angela Adderson says:

Hi,
My name is Angela Adderson and i am married to Gary who produces the most amazing raw milk. As the article above states, we can only sell raw milk to the actual consumer, not to a shop to re-sell. We sell at Olney farmers market on the 1st Sunday of every month and Woburn farmers market on the 3rd Sunday of every month. We also do a doorstep delivery to the villages surrounding North Crawley, Nr. Newport Pagnell, and we sell directly from the farm. We have numerous customers who are prepared to travel quite a distance to collect raw milk from us. Usually because of intolerances to pasteurised milk. We have one customer who hasn’t been able to drink milk for 20+ years without feeling ill. Since finding us, she now drinks raw milk, with no adverse effect. She phones and orders 110 pints a month, which we fill into 2 pint and 4 pint plastic bottles, which she then freezes. Please give us a call on 01234 391250 if you think we can help you.

John Barron & Kate Hart say:

We sell unpasteurised milk produced by our small herd of jersey cows in Herefordshire. We sell it direct from the farm and also at farmers markets in Ludlow, Cheltenham, Malvern and Worcester. Many customers travel miles to collect it. As well as helping with a variety of health conditions, it also tastes great. The jersey milk has extra cream and for the ultimate indulgence, we sell extra double unpasteurised jersey cream! Vist our website at https://www.johnsjerseys.co.uk or call us on 01531 640 275

maryf

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 10 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hear hear, I like raw milk for making cheese, don't need a "chemical" starter then, and we just like it to drink too, didn't realise about the homogenised fat stuff - ugh, we like real dairy fat!!!

vegplot

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 10 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nat S wrote:
Jersey milk is truly a milk apart.

I know, it's what we used to produce (along with Guernsey and some Friesian). Always had it unpasteurised.

AnnaD

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 10 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really hope that they'll one day make it legal in Scotland. Funny that raw milk is illegal, yet alcohol and tobacco isn't.

Rob R

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 10 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnnaD wrote:
Funny that raw milk is illegal, yet alcohol and tobacco isn't.

Quite. There is nothing rational about it at all, even looking at the stats and risk factors involved. But then if milk were to become taxable then the situation would likely change very quickly...

Nicky cigreen

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 10 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can buy pasteurised milk that is not homogenised. Riverford (the veg box people) sell it, for example.

AnnaD

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 10 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

colour it green wrote:
you can buy pasteurised milk that is not homogenised. Riverford (the veg box people) sell it, for example.

We get unhomogenised milk from a farm in the Borders and it's lovely. Unfortunately we can only buy it once a week and 5 bottles only last us a few days.

Nicky cigreen

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 10 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnnaD wrote:
colour it green wrote:

We get unhomogenised milk from a farm in the Borders and it's lovely. Unfortunately we can only buy it once a week and 5 bottles only last us a few days.

freeze it?

Rob R

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 10 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interestingly, Anna, I have just found this website: https://rawmilkscotland.webs.com/

AnnaD

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 10 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's interesting, thanks for the link. It would be good if they get somewhere with it.

susanna

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 10 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we still have raw milk at www.thegoodsshed.net trial period for 3 months only - please support it if you're nearby to keep it going only 40p/pint - bring your own clean bottle

Rob R

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 10 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

40p/pint really is cheap What breed(s) of cows do you milk?

chez

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 10 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for these, Rob - I am going to give them a ring today.

Rob R wrote:
Nearest I can find is;
Guernsey cows:
Olive Farm
Babcary
Somerton
Somerset
TA11 7ES

Who seem to sell mainly at London farmers markets

Friesian cows:
Dykes Farm
Slough Lane
Stoke St Gregory
Taunton
Somerset

01823 490349

Available from the farm.

I'll keep looking...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Seasonal and Frugal Shopping All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive