Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
introduction to jams and preserves
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Author 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 05 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about mulberries? I just made a batch of mulberry jam and I still have an over abundance of them in the freezer and my tree is still producing.

I've also made Orange marmalade, Mulberry-Cherry Jam, Mixed Fruit Jelly,Watermelon Rind Preserves, Strawberry Jam, & Strawberry-Kiwi Preserves so far this year.

Gertie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 05 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the back of our muck heap there is an old greenhouse and there are raspberries growing all over the place - also our field is surrounded by elderberry and as well as making jelly I think we will have to make some elderberry wine this year.

Was looking forward to making a big batch of strawberry conserve this year, unfortunately the strawberry fields at the end of our village have failed for some reason this year so there aren't any!

Giulia

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 05 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talking about jellies....
We just tried a sour cherry and red wine jelly....
I'm sure it would also work with "normal" cherries!
it's just 1/2 litre juice and 1/2 litre strong red wine, 1 clove and than sugar as any other jelly recipe you may be doing... (sorry for the "litres" but I'm not very confident with pints pounds etc....)
yummmmy

judith

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 05 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giulia wrote:
Talking about jellies....
We just tried a sour cherry and red wine jelly....
I'm sure it would also work with "normal" cherries!
it's just 1/2 litre juice and 1/2 litre strong red wine, 1 clove and than sugar as any other jelly recipe you may be doing...

That sounds absolutely fantastic. Where can I get my hands on some sour cherries, I wonder?

wellington womble

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 05 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone know what you have to do to blackcurrant to make it set? I thought it would no problem, as they're quite tart already, and The juice that I started with was nearly as thick as jam! We're dunking scones at the moment, but it does go fantastically ywith ice cream, and I'm thinking of diluting to drink!

Is there an easier way of juicing blackcurrants without A) looking like you've commited a grisly murder in your kitchen and B) spending ages prodding the jelly bag cos the juice is too thick to drip?

gil
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 05 1:24 pm    Post subject: blackcurrant bother Reply with quote

sounds delicious !
as surprised as you that you've had difficulty setting blackcurrant jelly (I assume).

Not tried blackcurrant jelly myself, but your syrup sounds rather like my rose hip jelly/syrup, also elderberry sometimes turns out that way. re Thickness of juice - maybe the currants didn't need to be quite as mushy ?

It should keep fine as it is, in jars or sealed bottles. Keep scones and toast as level as possible with a plate under ! Not worth putting back in the pan to boil up again to set, unless you've got loads - flavour is never as good after. Next batch you might try adding a couple of cooking apples for pectin just to make sure. But should usually be OK to jel.

judith

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 05 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: blackcurrant bother Reply with quote

gbst wrote:
Keep scones and toast as level as possible with a plate under !

Good advice that! Can only add the suggestion to wear old clothes as you eat. Don't care what Mr Persil says, those stains don't come out!
Worth it though

alison
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 05 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use the mouli for making jellies, as it squiges the pulp but stops most of the bits. The juice then gets run through the jelly bag, and there are so few pips then it will drain through easily.

wellington womble

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 05 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear - now I'll really be in trouble - another bit of kitchen equipment! Sounds like a great idea, though - thanks alison.

I don't know why the balckcurrant never set - last year was the first time I made jam, and everything went swimmingly - even the stawberry! This year, it's be me swimming in unset jam! It doesn't matter for us, and the wrinklies will have to lump it (or not!) in their hampers! I thought blackcurrant would be easy too! Oh well, you live and learn!

Mad Dad

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 05 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read the articles and am very impressed..... I am going to have an abundance of blackberries this year so now I know what to do with them...and some wine of course...

monkey1973

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 05 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with mad dad on this as well. All the posts on this thread have been very informative. We have just harvested our blackcurrants and some rasberries and we have a handful of redcurrants that we could pop in as well just for good measure. I also have a rhubarb as big as a gunnera (sp.?) so I think I (well, when I say "I" I really mean my good lady wife) could be encouraged to make a batch of the rupert and ginger stuff. Sounds delicious.

percypony

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 05 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless I am missing something no one has actually posted a receipe for Blackberry jam/jelly (what's the difference anyone?) and it is getting close to that time again!

PLEASE can someone help me as I have LOADS in our hedge and last year everyone was fed up with crumbles and pies!

I also have a bit of rhubarb too could I throw this in too??? How would it change the instructions?

thanks guys!
Sarah

Róisín

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 05 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarah, this is so weird cos what I have in my own kitchen right now is blackberries and rhubarb

Anyhoo, I'll give my own (or rather, my mother's) very amateurish blackberry jam recipe:

Put the blackberries you have found in a pot with two tablespoons of sugar per quarter pot (this is a very rough measurement and varies with how sweet or sour the berries are, how big your spoon is, how much sugar you have in your cupboard, whether it's raining outside and what colour shoes you're wearing). Put a smidgen of water in to help them along. Add one chopped apple, or two if you have a potful of berries. Or three if you like apples.
Turn on hob and cover pot. When the mix is good and hot, take off the lid of the pan and let the contents of the pot reduce til it's sticky and jamlike.
Leave to cool in the pot, then put in a jar. Keep in fridge.
I've made this squillions of times and it's always been yummy and great.

Last time I made this I bulked it up with three chopped pears and it was scrumplicious. If you're doing this, use a little less sugar as pears are sweet.

I have a question about the rhubarb recipe in the article - I want to make it *now*! but want to know also roughly how long it'll keep.

(I've no idea how long my blackberry jam keeps cos it's always eaten within a week, usually within 3 days )

barefoot_boo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 05 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone got a recipe for plum jam? Was my favourite as a child, and reading about all these jams has made me nostalgic (and hungry!).

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 05 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3lb washed plums
3/4 pint water
3lb granulated sugar
1/2oz butter

Put plums in saucepan with water.
Bring to boil, cover and reduce heat.
Simmer gently until fruit is tender.
Add sugar and stir until dissolved.
Bring to boil. Boil briskly for 10-15 minutes or until setting point is reached.
Remove stones with a slotted spoon as they surface.
Draw pan away from heat and stir in butter to disperse scum.
Pot and cover.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive