Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
what do you live in?
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property
Author 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 12 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just moved from Devon where we rented 3 bed attached house with terraced garden to Essex to rented bungalow with small garden but have 8.5 acres down the road. Feel so lucky!

Nick

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 12 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick wrote:
Old black and white farm house/cottage. 4 beds, but could be six if I bought some plasterboard. 3 acres, doing precious little at the moment.

Oh, and there's a mortgage, too. Nothing crippling however, less than 10% of the value of the house, I suspect.

Same house, same mortgage, lost a garage, gained 7 acres.

ninat

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 12 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 bed 1980's bungalow, 10acres which includes 2 acres of woodland, the rest is rough grazing.
We have the land, but due to our circumstances- not the time. Have hens at the moment but in the past have raised pigs and lambs. Grow most of our own veggies but season is very short (have a greenhouse but really need a polytunnel)

Chickem

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 12 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We weren't around when this started either...
We have been in the same house in a small village in Devon for 9 years.
It's a 3 bed detatched cob cottage with a Med garden in need of lots of TLC , We had lots of plans when we moved here but financial problems put a hold on things so we're doing what we can when we can afford it
We moved from a 3 bed semi in a village on the outskirts of Cambridge and have no plans to return

judith

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 12 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason I didn't answer this question the first time around, but I am currently in an extended Welsh farmhouse on an acre and a bit with an indeterminate number of rooms and need for an infinite amount of TLC (not to mention cash). I have lived here for 10 years, having moved here with my late partner.

It has been a wonderful life here, and I have loved the village and having the land to play with, but the house is far too big for two people and my life has moved on. The plan is therefore to downsize massively later this year, after my impending nuptuals! We will be moving to a little two-bedroomed end of terrace cottage with a postage stamp garden in a small market town. As the new house is currently missing some important features like floors and walls, this will give me about 6 months to decide what is sufficiently important to me from my current life to move it. Everything else will be sold, junked or given away. It is a hugely liberating project and I'm looking forward to really getting started on it.

Mithril

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 12 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The suburbs - small side of medium garden.

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 12 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're just getting a decent 12x6 shed put up here
When that is done I will be able to partition the unusable garage so we will have a decent utility room and a pantry.
If we only had any land to go with it, it would be ideal

yummersetter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 12 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We live in the end-of-3 cottage that great grandma bought a hundred years ago. Then it was a 2 up 2 down; generations of leanto /shop/ conservatory/ shed/ studio builders mean that its now 2 + bathroom up, 13 down

She also bought the adjoining orchard which my apple and rose fanatic grandfather kept planted with a great selection of trees and I've added another orchard with an even more varied collection of fruit trees and bushes, in all there are 2 acres of fruit and veg land, chicken area and apiary and a couple of peaceful flower gardens.

We moved here full-time 2 years ago this week and relocated the photographic imaging business from London, its working brilliantly with a couple of large prestigious projects a month that can be fitted round our other tasks.

gz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 12 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 bed terrace, built by 1865 by the Ebbw Vale Iron Coal and Steel Co. (in other words, Llanover Estate) In the middle of the village
Main trunk road at the back about fifty feet from the workshop
very small patch of garden at the back and a 10' + x 18' + workshop, half of which is mine.

Renovations in limbo due to lack of cash.

Plus an allotment five minutes walk away

john of wessex

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 12 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Extended 1963 semi, decent sized garden & shed(s)

About as big a garden as we can sensibly manage

cir3ngirl

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 12 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1970 mid terrace been here almost 16 years. Finally this year I am getting rid of the avacado bathroom thanks to my fab sister. We can be walking round the farm tracks 5 mins after leaving the back garden. My neighbours are fab, I know that my kids could get help if they needed it and I was not about.

ETA I to can walk to my allotment in 5 mins

Last edited by cir3ngirl on Tue Mar 27, 12 7:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

gardening-girl

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 12 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Downsized from a three bedroom georgian townhouse,and bought a two bed, end of terrace.Lost the mortgage,and let the house out.
We live in a tied two bed house,on site with 31 other houses that we manage.(Private retirement).Very lucky to have a very large allotment within the walls of a walled garden,about two miles away.
Keep chickens,have also kept pigs and sheep.

katie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 12 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same house as in 2005 - extended not-too-attractive semi in a village but 11 acres of land now which we have temporary permission to live on. We have goats, sheep and many, many chickens.

sgt.colon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 12 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick wrote:
lost a garage, gained 7 acres.

That must have been some garage.

Croatia Keith

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 12 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gave up 3 bed semi in Welwyn, Hertfordshire with barb wire topped fencing, alarm and cctv system to go and tour Europe living in a caravan.

Now settled in Croatia in a restored farmhouse with 8 acres, nice views, great neighbours, peace, quiet and safety.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive