Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Roast Chicken
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Author 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 05 4:21 pm    Post subject: Roast Chicken Reply with quote

Hello all,

Just wondering what everyones favourite roast chicken recipes/methods are??

I'm cooking one this weekend for my family and I want to impress them!!

Thanks in advance,

Brica

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 05 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Roast Chicken Reply with quote

brica wrote:
Hello all,

Just wondering what everyones favourite roast chicken recipes/methods are??

I'm cooking one this weekend for my family and I want to impress them!!

Thanks in advance,

Brica

Start off with a decent chicken Whilst I reckon with a lot of the arguments that better reared animals make better eating are a bit exaggerated, with Chicken a good one makes all the difference.
Unfortunately supermarket labels in this respect, are in my experience meaningless

cab

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 05 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Roast Chicken Reply with quote

jema wrote:

Start off with a decent chicken Whilst I reckon with a lot of the arguments that better reared animals make better eating are a bit exaggerated, with Chicken a good one makes all the difference.
Unfortunately supermarket labels in this respect, are in my experience meaningless

Actually, I think that it makes MORE of a difference with beef and pork than it does with chicken. But in all cases, you can normally say that happy meat is tastier meat.

judith

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 05 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming you have aquired a good free-range chicken ( ), put as many peeled cloves of garlic as you dare into the cavity along with some good sprigs of thyme and some S&P.

Forget about basting and turning, just roast it at 20 min per pound + 20 minutes until the skin is golden and crispy. Don't stick skewers or knives into it to see if it's done - just give a good tug to one of the legs. If you can feel the leg coming away, then it is ready. Otherwise put it back in for another 15 minutes.

When it is done, rest it for another 15 - 20 minutes, then tip any juices from the cavity back into the roasting tin along with the garlic and thyme. Make your gravy and carve the bird.

nettie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 05 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree about the decent chicken making a difference. i get mine from the farmers market at Barleylands, Brica, there's a chap on the second (I think) stall on the left who does the best chicken of all, free range corn fed and absolutely scrummy. (He does some good Old spot too) there's a market on this Saturday morning.

I just untie its' legs, put on a little oil, and pop it in a preheated oven 180 degrees, for 20 mins per lb plus 20 mins. Half way through I slice down between the legs and body to help it cook through. I don't bother basting it, I just leave all the lovely juices so it's kept moist from inside. After cooking I leave it half an hour before carving, it's really succulent done like that. And then I make gravy with the juices!

A nice alternative is to halve a lemon and pop it in the cavity, then stab teh bird with a small knife and put slivers of garlic and fresh tarragon in the incisions.

Have a nice meal!

wellington womble

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 05 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't advise on roasting one, as my OH is in charge of Sunday cooking, but buying the chicken is my job, and I reckon it makes an enormous difference. The best (and corrrepondinigly most expensive are these:

https://www.wellhungmeat.com/poultry.php

These are a bit more reasonable, and still excellent (this is where we get all out meat from now)

https://www.higherhacknell.co.uk/

and if neither of them can deeliver on time, le poulet d'or from waitrose are third on my list - waitrose will deliver them, with the rest of your shopping via ocado.com if you haven't one close.

I know he used to use Delia's guidelines, but has probably monified them by now (beyond all recognition!)

woodyandluna

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 05 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. Great advice as usual.

I'm sure I'll be onto a winner!!

Bernie66

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 05 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone heard the one about cooking a chicken upside down to keep the juices from flowing down from the breast? Then turn it over for the last twenty mins to crisp up the skin(cooks perk). Can't promise it works scientifically but they always taste good when i've done it that way.

wellington womble

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 05 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I really, really fancy roast chicken! How long is it till Sunday? Might do one tommorow - then I can make soup with the stock and the huge pile of mushrooms in the fridge!

Bugs

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 05 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wellington womble wrote:
Now I really, really fancy roast chicken! How long is it till Sunday?

So do I....

wellington womble

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 05 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that is worrying! I thought you were planning to come over to the light soon anyway? Got to start somewhere (is chicken the best place to start, given your pets, or is treacy playing up again!?)

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 05 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decent chicken.
Make stock with giblets.
Slice an onion and chop some bacon and stick them in the bottom of an oval le creuset roaster.
Shove some thyme up the chicken's bottom.
Smear chicken with butter.
Add salt and pepper.
Squeeze a lemon over it and stuff the spent halves up its bottom along with a crushed clove of garlic which I forgot to mention earlier.
Put a couple of ladles worth of giblet stock into the dish, plus a smallish glass of white wine/cider/sherry.
Give it about 15 mins at 220C then turn down to 180 and cook for some more time (aiming at about 20mins/500g in total).
Remove from oven, tip any juices back into the pan from inside the chicken.
Let chicken rest for about 15mins while you whisk the gravy/juices together and remove the lumps of onion and bacon.
Serve to universal acclaim with seasonal vegetables.

nettie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 05 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great if you can actually get the giblets

dougal

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 05 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bernie66 wrote:
Has anyone heard the one about cooking a chicken upside down to keep the juices from flowing down from the breast? Then turn it over for the last twenty mins to crisp up the skin(cooks perk). Can't promise it works scientifically but they always taste good when i've done it that way.

Yep, but I think the idea is to let the back-fat run down to baste the breasts.
An alternative trick is to put some herb (or garlic) butter in under the skin over the breasts and thighs...

Jb

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 05 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the subject of roasting chickens, times, temparatures &c.

Has anyone tried following HFW's advice from his Meat book and found his roasting times to be way under that required. I'd have to check as I'm writing this from memory but I seem to recall that he recommends a total cooking time of 70 minutes for a 2Kg bird, which is 20 minutes at gas 6, 40 at gas 3 and then resting for 10 minutes. Based on 20 minutes / lb + 20 minutes a 2 kg bird should take about 100 minutes + resting?

I know Hugh seems to like his meat rare and I'll agree with him on that but I don't want my poultry to come out pink!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive