Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Young apple trees - & Ongoing updates (inc grafting)
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Author 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 12 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sally too wrote:
Couple of pictures as promised.

Early days for the "apple arch" !! (Tree in middle of each bit of mulch!)

The steps with the red tree at the bottom.

Detail of the red tree... sooo promising!

Trees with red leaves seem to occur quite often in nature. I've read about it (I wondered why naturally we don't have many red-leaved trees here) and it turns out that they need slightly more sun than green-leaved trees. They don't capture different parts of the sunligh spectrum as efficiently as green leaves.

I've also personally noticed that dark green leaves are often associated with plants which will grow in shade (such as holly or ivy). So dark green leaves may sometimes offer a clue to what will grow in partial shade.

Myself I'm currently trying to germinate some peach seeds. The peach had been in the fridge for a long time and the stone came open easily. I think the seeds may have had their dormancy and could possibly germinate.
So they're in pots and I'm giving it a go. I'm growing them to be ornamental if they do germinate - fruit if it were edible would just be a bonus.

Sally Too

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 12 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with your peach seedlings - I hope they grow well for you.

The little apple trees here are all in leaf again. It's a rather long haul project, but an exciting one. The red one is visible from the kitchen window - so I really hope it continues to be nice...

The last of the trees were all planted hedge style around the site where we are going to erect a new-to-us barn. This reminds me, I must go down and mulch them again to keep the grass back.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive