Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Killing rabbits
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot
Author 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 06 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Similar thought, how do you know when a pifeon is dead.

Shot one today, still twitching...reflexes???

Gave it chest a good squeeze, to collapse its lungs....nasty bloody mess poured out of its beak!

Pulled it neck, heart still beating !!!

Pulled it neck again....the head came of in my hand!(A common problem with me )

I think it was dead now.

Pete

pricey

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 06 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem, heads always coming of in my hand, and every time I think don't pull so hard this time.

Shane

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 06 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

<resists Finbar Saunders moment>

Gervase

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 06 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Snork!*

Tittch

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 06 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*plans to try this on Chavs next time they rocket a football into the side of the 1975 Dyane*

spanky

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 06 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

killing wounded pigeons is a simple procedure just take the birds head in your fingers and twist at 180 degrees and then press down into the chest with a bit of force this will mash the neck bones and spinal column ,if needs be get a pair of pliers and use them to crush the neck

whitelegg1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 06 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky,

You stand a good chance of the head coming off in your hands.
Hold th pigeon in both hands, as if you were going to release a dove...Stopping it from opening it wings.

Then with your thumb feel down the back bone.
Then at a suitable point press hard with your thumb whilst pulling up and back on the chest/head.

Back breaks, no flapping because your holding the wings, no blood spraying all over yours shoes!

Pete

dpack

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 06 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the pull twist works but priesting is fairly easy to learn , practise with a spoon in a sockful of sand as a stand in stunt bunny. mind your knuckles .
when ive had a pigeon to neck the head always comes off , lets them drain .
if you have the bunny captive a well done priesting is as good as owt, same for fish
if you are shooting bunnies , head shot .22 cal fac rifle ,no priesting involved .
i prefer it to never know its got a problem if that is possible .i work towards that any way and try to reduce the stress to dinner as far as i can .
most extreme priesting i ever saw was a cock pheasant challenging a volvo on the m1.a couple of tons at 80mph works .

Penny Outskirts

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 06 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpack wrote:
most extreme priesting i ever saw was a cock pheasant challenging a volvo on the m1.a couple of tons at 80mph works .

Who won?

Lozzie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 06 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tittch wrote:
*plans to try this on Chavs next time they rocket a football into the side of the 1975 Dyane*

dpack

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 06 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spanky

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 06 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well pete im 50 yrs old have been killing birds and animals for most of my life being born on a farm then being a atw sniper in the marines and now being a gamekeeper ,the method always works for me and no splattering iether mate , but we each have our own ways the trick with the pliers is for those who have'nt got the knack of doing it by hand ,incidently te method i showed is what i would normally teach young shots ,i just crush the head between my fingers and thumb

whitelegg1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 06 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky,

Whitelegg2 has enough trouble seeing the pigeons when they look like their asleep!!

Me thinks when they look like they've gone 10 rouns with Iron Mike Tyson, she would go off the idea of me 'dealing' with out garden pest problem/resource

Pete.

Todays test is to see whether 'Christoper the Crow decoy' will tempt down some strong and flavoursome meat for us to try. Just don't let them near my winter salad!!!

Snap Cap

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 06 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I allways break thier necks after I have shot them as it stops rigamortice setting in and so makes them easier to skin.

Purple Martin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 06 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: Killing rabbits Reply with quote

cab wrote:
An overheard conversation last week at the allotment, between two old timers discussing how to kill rabbits. One was of the opinion that necking is quickest, the other was a sound fan of a blow to the head. Both were adamant that their own way was quickest and most humane.

Which is best?

Rabbits and humans are basically the same: mammals.

Which way would you prefer to die - to have your neck broken and then suffocate slowly while in pain from a fractured vertebra (which you can still feel in detail) while you are unable to move from the neck down, OR to be knocked out cold in an instant?

If I had to choose, I'd go for the blow to the head.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive