Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
advice please - my first allotment is very overgrown
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13

Author 
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 16 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard. Good luck with your new allotment.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 16 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds potentially like a good plot. You are starting the right way by removing the seed heads; not only will they seed in your plot but in other peoples, so removing them will make you popular. Good luck with it.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 16 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black plastic works wonders, I have used it. If you want to start early cropping next season then get a load of cow manure and put it down on the ground and then cover it with black plastic. This will warm the soil up for the spring, rot the manure and fertilise the ground suitable for a potato crop. I would be doing this in the autumn. But, if you want crops this time round, then you can always peg black plastic down at the edges and cut holes at the points where you want to plant this year, you pull any weeds that appear round the plants and you water if needed through the hole!
You may also need to lime, this should be done for the cabbage family, Brassicas, at their stage in your rotation and not anywhere near potatoes. Have fun!

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 16 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure the black plastic is lightproof. Some isn't and the weeds will still grow.

wellington womble

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 16 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have spent the last few days digging up black plastic. It keeps tearing and was very hard to remove. I would hesturate to recommend just in case Real Life gets in the way and you (or anyone else) needs to dig it up again later than planned. I would bite the bullet and pay out for weed suppressing membrane. It definitely suppresses weeds, holds together better, and can be reused for years. I use it all over the place.

Jam Lady

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 16 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weed whip and cut the unwanted growth very close to the ground. Go to an appliance store and get sturdy corrugated cardboard boxes from large items - refrigerators for example. Lay cardboard down. Top with autumn leaves, straw, what have you. Weeds get smothered. Earthworms eat the corrugated cardboard, and next year you can till in the partially decayed "topping" material.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13
Page 13 of 13
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive