About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Whisper it...crafts for Chr...
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 05 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fine sense of judgement that girl has - from the mother's side evidently.

Thank you for your support Amiphist - we could do with more of your sort around here

Bugs

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 05 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sally_in_wales wrote:
Lots of fun to make, very simple too

Looking at your link I would agree with the first but not so much the second...then I realised I'm looking for a Christmas stocking, not a work of art like your hat there! I definitely think it could be adapted...where am I going to get that much wool from though

Also: now I want a pointy hat. That's all your fault. Under what social circumstances can one wear a pointy hat?

Stacey

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 05 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank blinky that someone has had the guts to mention the C word Part of our lifestyle means that we have to be prepared much earlier than other folks (IMVHO) Everyone in my family is getting knitted stuff this year since I've learned to spin. That means loads of pairs of socks, hot water bottle covers etc etc and that simply can't be left until a couple of weeks before. It's not as if any posters are suggesting going to T***o and stocking up is it?

Those hats are gorgeous Sally, a work of art.
Bugs, how much wool and what colours were you thinking of? You can buy fleeces off ebay or do you live near someone who could sell you some fleece? I know you can buy merino tops from places like wingham wool works but merino sheep aren't always very ethically farmed so I've stopped buying it.

nettie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 05 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Stacey. I've been making socks since February and the wild plums are already in the freezer in readiness for the Thingummymas gin.

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 05 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In all honesty I give a lot of Sloe gin at xmas, so if you include the scouting, I have been working on xmas for a few weeks now

cab

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 05 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got lots of jam, some liquers, wine and chutney made. We'll be making chocolates in December. Haven't dried many mushrooms for presents yet becase thus far the season here in this part of East Anglia has been utterly dismal; still, the harvest last year was so good I could manage from last years no sweat at all

Still to make more jam, jelly, liquers and wine... Considering putting the workbench to good use to make somethign for my new niece (who'll be 1 by then... can't be hard to knock up one of those waddling ducks, can it?)

RoryD

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 05 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northern_Lad wrote:
sally_in_wales wrote:
Have you considered felted stockings?

Regularly, but I don't think this is the forum to discuss such things.

Is it too late to get felt here?

nettie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 05 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northern_Lad

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 05 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jema wrote:
In all honesty I give a lot of Sloe gin at xmas, so if you include the scouting, I have been working on xmas for a few weeks now

As Cab puts it:
[Rant]

I think you meant:

In all honesty I give a lot of Sloe gin at Christmas, so if you include the scouting, I have been working on Christmas for a few weeks now

Can we just clear things up, there is no such event as 'xmas', it's just lazy typing. Most abvs. I can tollerate, but not this one; sorry.

[/Rant]

Stacey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 05 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're quite right about Xmas not existing, in fact it's Yule

Northern_Lad

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 05 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stacey_guthrie wrote:
You're quite right about Xmas not existing, in fact it's Yule

Yule's fine; a pagan thing, I believe - there are a few about here who can, and will, explain more (but nearer the time, I hope).

Stacey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 05 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what Yule is NL

Here's a link to cheer you up

https://www.christmasfromtheheart.com/newpage2.htm

wellington womble

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 05 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Round here it's 'eat, drink and be merry', but whatever keeps NL happy!

I'm afraid I'm guilty of thinking about the C word in June, at the latest, as I do hampers full of jams and jellies from the PYO for various grandparents. This year I will also be doing sloe gin, soap and other smellies, quilts and a few knitted hats if I master purl in time. I might even manage a sweater, but that'll be a bonus. And I might keep it! a denim gardening waistcoat with pockets for my mum, and various little bits and pieces for stockings.

So to get all that done, I probably should have started last Christmas. In the past I've done fleece hats and scarves that went down well, gingerbread houses, that people were disproportionately impressed with, and terracotta clocks. Next year will be hats and scarves all round, and socks the year after (bet my reletives can't wait!) The mead might be ready by then too!

Must remember to check the sloes on dog walking duty this afternoon!

wellington womble

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 05 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh - you could try Alison for the wool - I know she was shearing earlier in the year - or maybe rob r, although he might have had all of his spun.

sally_in_wales
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 05 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northern_Lad wrote:

Can we just clear things up, there is no such event as 'xmas', it's just lazy typing. Most abvs. I can tollerate, but not this one; sorry.

[/Rant]

I take it you never abbreviate Christian to Xn then? (not a slur on anyone, I know a couple of very very Christian Xns that use both interchangeably, plus xmas, so I'm just interested in why this abbreviation gets such a response)

Personally, I love the fact that being in a multifaith family means I get to do both Yule and Christmas as part of the whole midwinter festivities. We use Xmas as an umbrella term because its a bit less specific than 'christmas'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive