Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Nettle infusion in syrup increases brood rearing.
Page Previous  1, 2

Author 

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 13 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lorrainelovesplants wrote:

Personally, I think a lot depends on the beekeeper - you dont need to open the hive to see if the queen is laying - if the bees are taking in pollen then you know its for brood therefore you have a laying queen.

More subtle than that: eg. queenless workers with only a frame of stores and no brood still take in some pollen. I see it as quantitative compared with nearby colonies.

Tavascarow

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 13 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mistress Rose wrote:

Interesting about the nettle infusion. I suppose in nature, the bees might pick up something from the nettle pollen.

In old books it suggests that bees also pick up nutrients/medication from urine. Any thoughts on this?

Bees will drink the natural infusions from plants (exudates) & probably get some of the benefits as they do from man made.
With urine & animal droppings it's usually the minerals they are after.
The purple emperor butterfly is well known for feeding on dog faeces.
Ironic that one of our rarest & most beautiful insects has such gross dietary habits.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 13 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a purple emperor butterfly attracted down near the gate in the woods by a dead rabbit. It sat on the rabbit, then landed on son because it was a hot day and he had been working hard. Couldn't get a decent picture though, as unless the light is right they just look brown.

You are probably right about the salts bees pick up Tavascarow.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> The Apiary All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive