Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
wood burner recommendations.
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Author 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 11 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We bought the stanford. Nice and tidy, burns well, clean etc. It has a few teathing probs, dials not secured properly etc but on the whole v pleased.

Im looking at cookers for the kitchen so re- visited this thread. As we are trying to get another wood burner installed at the other end of the house, Im tempted to stay with the electric oven as most people seem to run both anyway. However, shd i get a back boiler for the other stove or do you think solar would be worth a go? Id really like to ditch the use of LPG as i can see this is going to be very expensive lobg term.

Any thoughts?

Ruralnaedowell

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 11 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small stoves are really annoying as you can only get short chunks of wood in, that burn less efficiently than larger pieces - plus you have to load them more often !
I would definately get a bigger stove, unless your house is super double glazed and insulated.

Toffer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 11 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a Clearview Pioneer at the old place and were very happy with the performance, I'm going to instal something in the new place this summer, hopefully with a back boiler this time so we can make some more use of the heat.

Very taken with the looks of the FireBelly range but not seen one in real life, anyone got one?

camaro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 11 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was quite taken with it as well, until I actually looked it over! Feels very flimsy and poorly built.
Has anyone got experience of the "Grey Metal" stoves? Prices seem too good to be true on some of them, and I like the looks, they seem to have a wide range but are fairly often out of stock...

https://www.greymetal.co.uk/

County4x4

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 11 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The greymetal stuff is all imported as far as I know - and the bargain basement prices woud have me slightly worried. It's often the case that with stoves - you get what you pay for! You might save a load on the purchase cost, but if the control you have over it is rubbish - you'll soon spend what you saved on extra wood to feed it!

Andy

Finsky

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 11 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've got Euroheat's Harmony. Although its only the smallest on in the range..it still kick good amount of heat...most of the year enough to keep the whole house 18'c. When it gets colder..we switch central heating on for a moment to warm the house and burner will keep it up rest of the day.
Istalling burner into chimney breast..you'll be surprised how much room with clearance even the smaller model will take.
Negative side is..like it was mentioned..small logs size they take and they need loading often..ours burn 30-45 mins untill new ones are needed.
If I would have the money and now that I know more about burners..I would go one for one with small cooking/warming facility above where the logs burn.
We've had our small burner for 6 yrs now and its still like a new..it was well worth it to pay for the quality. We live in terrace house so we are bit limited what kind burner we can fit in..and then there is the amount of storage for logs that limit us too.

mochyn

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 11 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our Clearview Pioneer (very small) stays in overnight. I feed it when I get up (at 9 o'clock today ) and then periodically throught the day. The small log thing isn't a problem if the stove works properly.

giveitago

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 13 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we've had the burner two winters now.

Fair to say it's not fantasic.

It burns ok if you keep the ash door open and the vents on full. If its a very calm day it has trouble dragging the smoke through the chimney and fills the room instead. It's a fair size but doesnt like larger logs as they tend to smother the heat that's already being generated.

Produces much better heat from coal but i dont like buying coal.

I would never be able to leave it 'ticking over' at night, it would go out after an hour.

Any suggestions.

perlogalism

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 13 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What stove did you end up with?

We had a problem with the Jotul we bought a few years ago: I fitted the "EU" rather than the "USA" controls (seemed logical) only to find out 2 years later that they should be labelled "Wood" and "Coal". Needless to say when I swapped them over it worked fine!

You shouldn't need the bottom vents open at all IF the wood is well seasoned and dry. It's taken me many years to realise that the drier the wood, the hotter the fire.

Get a good bed of red hot embers going before putting on bigger logs and resist the temptation to disturb the embers or riddle.

Sorry if this is telling you how to suck eggs

cornishlongdog

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 13 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there. We've got two woodburners, one morso squirrel and a clearview pioneer. ( one cast iron, the other steel and have nothing but praise for both of them) Both will stay in overnight using wood but I tend not to do this too often as I think that it probably doesn't do the chimneys much good. I've found that the best thing to do is to put log on when I'm going to bed, open the fire right up to get it roaring then shut it down to a reasonable burn but not shut down all the way. Come the morning there are usually enough embers to chuck some kindling on and then off you go again. It will also depend on the wood that you are burning and to some extent how windy it is etc as to how warm the stove is come the morning. The morso will make charcoal if it is shut down completely but you do end up with a bit of a tarry smell which as I say makes me think it's not so great for the chimney.

giveitago

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 13 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tbh, the woods not that great. We're still trying to build a dry spot for it.

woodsprite

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 13 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a Clearview. The only stove we'd ever consider and believe me, my hubby installs hundreds of different stoves in hundreds of houses every year.

Annemieke

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 13 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Rayburn stoves (now taken over by Aga) will run rads, heat water and provide cooking facilities.
Not sure what woodburning stoves Rayburn do - mine runs on oil. The woodburning version may be less powerful. Check their website.
Older models of Rayburn are not insulated, so will heat a kitchen.

We've lived with wood-burning Rayburns for decades. We used to recondition old Rayburns and put central heating boilers in them. Old Rayburns are much more solid and never go wrong: if you are thinking of a Rayburn, as well as looking at new ones, find out wether there is a second-hand dealer in your area.

Ruralnaedowell

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 13 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Down the secondhand side of the market the Coalbrookdale Severn is a great stove and very easy on the eye. There are boiler and non boiler models out there, you can pick up a beauty for £400. I think they are 15kw or so and will stay in all night, so long as the seals are in good order and the fuel is good. The boiler model only gives out 3KW of room heating though, the majority going to the radiators.
The Stovax Huntingdon 35's and 45's are another great stove and great second hand buy as are many of the older Jotuls, Vermont Intrepids etc.
You can get often get a really good quality second hand stove for the price of a chinese import.

Ty Gwyn

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 13 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking to install a Multifuel/woodburner,i have done so much searching,checked out the info on most makes of stove,and still un-decided.

There does seem to be a lot on here that recommend the Clearview range,but i have failed to find a lot of info on them,even from their own website,they do say its the most efficient stove ever made,But don`t state what the efficiency percentage is,like most other stove makers,which i find strange.

What i also find strange is,some of the other more expensive stoves,have much lower efficiency percentages,than stoves half the price.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive