Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Where to buy on a budget?
Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property
Author 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 11 1:42 pm    Post subject: Where to buy on a budget? Reply with quote

Hi
I've finally made it to this site on the advice of the chap who gave a talk about how to get a small holding at the 2010 Small Holding Show in Wales last year, sorry I've forgotten your name if you're reading this!
I've been looking all over the UK and Ireland (and France) to buy some land and something to live in for several years now on a budget of 120,000 - okay it's not enormous money but is something! I would love to know where people on a budget are going now to get land and live the dream as it does not seem to be this expensive, and at times overcrowed country! Spain? I would consider even the US and Canada but have little experience of these countries. Any advice gratefully received!

Nick

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 11 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ireland is stupidly cheap. It's miles from anywhere, so I'm not sure how supportable it would be.

daft.ie

marigold

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 11 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eastern Europe?

alice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 11 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here.

About as different to, and as far from, the rest of the UK as you can get, without needing a visa.

https://www.lowsorkney.co.uk/

https://www.dreverandheddle.co.uk/index.asp?r=1

https://www.orkneypropertycentre.co.uk/

Went

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 11 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

120,000 would buy you a decent finca and house in certain parts of Spain but not here in the north - the problem you would have is what to grow and what to farm - Portugal is a cheaper option (Andrea has www.casalinho.com and could advise more)

The difficulty with moving to Spain or Portugal is the language - you would have to learn the basics and be able to converse on a level that would enable you to operate a small holding on an administrative level with the appropriate authorities.

Where ever you decide you want to be my advice would be to rent first and live the life for three-six months first. Dreams can sometimes turn into nightmares if not based on reality.

Welcome and hello.....from Asturias...

gil
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 11 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad Alice !

Penny Outskirts

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 11 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.lowsorkney.co.uk/property_detail.asp?pID=270

Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep

Andrea

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 11 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gawber wrote:
120,000 would buy you a decent finca and house in certain parts of Spain but not here in the north - the problem you would have is what to grow and what to farm - Portugal is a cheaper option (Andrea has www.casalinho.com and could advise more)

The difficulty with moving to Spain or Portugal is the language - you would have to learn the basics and be able to converse on a level that would enable you to operate a small holding on an administrative level with the appropriate authorities.

Where ever you decide you want to be my advice would be to rent first and live the life for three-six months first. Dreams can sometimes turn into nightmares if not based on reality.

And hello and welcome from Portugal As Ian says, for that sort of money you could find something very nice here.

Saying that, I wouldn't do it again. Don't get me wrong, I love my place and my life, but this lifestyle is hard enough without battling a different culture and language at the same time.

I would completely agree with the advice to rent first. We've rented out our old house to several British couples looking for the good life over here, and they've all quit and gone back to the UK. Far harder to do if you've committed all your cash.

tim_and_nicky

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 11 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We made it happen here in Galicia, northern Spain. Our place was 70,000 pounds for 5 acres and a livable house, but we were lucky in that. Galiciavista.com has some places but it will take time to find the ideal combination. Lots of wrecked houses and land but getting them together is difficult. Usually compromises to be made. Having said that, we are very happy here but making a living is the difficult part. Unemployment is very high. Unless you have a way of earning an income already in place, don't count on getting anything locally.

Good luck though

Cath123

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 11 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks to you all for those replies and help.
Nick- Thanks for your comment - I've just got back from Ireland and found it hard to find anything in that budget yet! Locals and friends also kept telling me not to move there and definitely not to get ill there, which was a bit disconcerting! I looked most areas though did miss out Leitrim and Roscommon as being as you say maybe a bit isolated and over quiet. Beautiful country though lucky you.
Alice - Orkney was a top choice and I've not been able to find anything in my price range all this time- one house and half an acre came up at Birsay and went immediately and that's been it, but thank you for sending the estate agents links. I wondered if I drove around and networked I might be able to get something not on the agents lists?
Gawber and Andrea thanks so much for your comments; renting sounds good advice, places can be disappointing. I have a 10 year old and wonder if I would be able to find a really good school for her abroad, or even an international school? That's what put me off France as their mainstream system is so traditional and stressful for young children.
Tim and Nicky thanks so much for your comments and help and link. Great that you made it!

Cath123

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 11 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

p.s. thanks Marigold - Eastern Europe would be interesting but I'm not sure if I'm up to such a big challenge!

alice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 11 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cath123 wrote:

Alice - Orkney was a top choice and I've not been able to find anything in my price range all this time- one house and half an acre came up at Birsay and went immediately and that's been it, but thank you for sending the estate agents links. I wondered if I drove around and networked I might be able to get something not on the agents lists?

Birsay is on the Mainland which is popular, so considerably more expensive.
The cheapest properties are on the less convenient north isles and many are sold privately without ever being advertised.
I would think there are quite a few properties on the agents websites at the moment that are well within your price range - just not on the Mainland.

marigold

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 11 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say "land", how much land do you want? This looks nice to me, is near a school and would leave you plenty of change from your £120k.

bayandgrey

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 11 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there, have you considered Aberdeenshire ? we looked at france, ireland etc and ended up in aberdeenshire and love it. most english folk we talk to (there are a lot here) love it as well. have a look at aspc on the net and see whats there. if you want any info just ask and i will try and help.
Andy.

boisdevie1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 11 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

France can be a lot cheaper than the UK BUT if you need to find work here then don't fall into the trap of "oh I can manage gites for others/cut lawns etc" Lots of English people don't seem to realise that this market is already well supplied.
If you are considering moving to another country expecting that life will somehow be easier than in the UK then think again - don't get me wrong I'm happy here in France but I only have myself to look after so don't need to earn much money. And I spoke the language before I arrived. Even then dealing with foreign bureaucracys can be a real nightmare.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property All times are GMT
Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive