Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Fixing a shotgun cabinet to the wall
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot
Author 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 12 4:51 pm    Post subject: Fixing a shotgun cabinet to the wall Reply with quote

This may be a really silly question... but having decided (at long last) where I will site my shotgun cabinet when I get it... there is a skirting board at the bottom of the wall where I want to put it.. will this make any difference to fixing it to the wall?

I dont really want to take the skirting board from there as its in the lounge - which we hardly ever use, and it will be sited behind the door.

vegplot

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 12 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regulations say it has to be firmly secured. Certified gun cabinets are normally pre-drilled with four holes ready for fixing bolts. Your local firearms officer, if he's doing his/her job properly, will test for security. I had to cut around skirting to fix my cabinet so it would pass the 'can I pull this away from wall' test.

Tavascarow

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 12 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's easy to cut out a piece of skirting.
I would be afraid any large gap could possibly make removal from the wall easier.
The best person to ask is your firearms officer.
Edit to say x posted with VP.

woodsprite

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 12 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ours are both bolted to the wall and floor.

Rob R

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 12 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iirc dad's cabinet is fixed above skirting level.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 12 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speak to you local firearms officer and see what they suggest. I would think you could stand it on a lump of timber so it's back is flush against the wall and the base is screwed into the timber plinth which is in turn screwed to the floor (or you could use a long screw that goes from the base of the cabinet through the plinth and into the floor.

Marionb

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 12 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont really want to cut a piece of skirting board out as it will look untidy when the house is sold in future... could the cabinet be fixed above the skirting board... I'm guessing not as it will need to be resting on the floor?

Failing that I guess it will have to go in the understairs cupboard where the last one went but I'd rather not put it there if possible.

ETA... Treac... the floor is concrete and there could well be pipes in that area...

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 12 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may still be able to stand the cabinet on a piece of wood, best bet would be to speak to your local officer as it will be them who checks out the cabinet.

vegplot

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 12 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you raise it above the floor you may well be asked to secure it to the floor as well as the wall. They would prefer it out of site and under the stair is the favoured location.

As above - ask your FAO what he/she advises.

onemanband

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 12 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't want to cut skirting board....

Fix a board same thickness as skirting to the wall first (doesn't have to be very secure as the cabinet bolts will sandwich it tightly )

Or similar to above but use boards at sides and top and maybe at bolt holes to stop cabinet bowing as bolts tightened.

Or similar to above but stick it to the cabinet first.

Cathryn

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 12 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob R wrote:
Iirc dad's cabinet is fixed above skirting level.

Mine was as it was in a rented house. The firearms officer was really nice and helpful. I'd ask him in advance of fitting it.

12Bore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 12 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

onemanband wrote:

Fix a board same thickness as skirting to the wall first (doesn't have to be very secure as the cabinet bolts will sandwich it tightly )

Or similar to above but use boards at sides and top and maybe at bolt holes to stop cabinet bowing as bolts tightened.

Sounds good, if it's the same size as the cabinet it would get around the "Can I get a lever behind it?" test.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 12 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

12Bore wrote:
onemanband wrote:

Sounds good, if it's the same size as the cabinet it would get around the "Can I get a lever behind it?" test.

I was going to suggest that but if it's wood you can easily lever it. Mind you, even bolted flush to a wall it's easy to lever it as you just dig into the plaster.

I've not found the firearms officers that bothered to be honest, so I would have thought they would accept wood behind or under the safe.

onemanband

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 12 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not done gun cabinets but I've fitted drugs cabinets which I guess are similar thing.
If you could get a bar behind but the bolts are doing their job properly, I rekon the cabinet should bend before the bolts pullout.

Still best not to have a gap tho, as the bolts are only as good as the wall they're in.

A 2x2 'architrave' firmly screwed to the wall around the cabinet would slow-up any crow-barring activities.

digit

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 12 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My FAO wasn't to keen on the idea of me putting a wooden board spacer behind the gun cabinet when i asked him, and i didn't want to cut my skirting broad, so i made a box to sit the cabinets on and put a bit of skirting board around it to finish it off.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive