About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Dithering over ducks
Page Previous  1, 2

Author 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 12 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, that's the one, thank you. Just spoke to Mr Miller, sounds like a very nice chap. He says he's got laying Aylesburys, which surprised me as I thought they were only table birds. Still, he pointed out that being from Oxford I couldn't possibly know as much as people from Lancashire and I daresay he's probably right!

Now where did I last see those poultry crates....

Bodger

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 12 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw those ducks. They look nothing like Aylesburys and are more akin to my White Campbells. Aylesburys should be humungusly big birds. He's got hundreds of them and although he tried to get me to have some, I stuck to my guns and insisted on having Campbells. You should do the same, the ones that I've had off him are fantastic.

joanne

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 12 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Preston is only 20 minutes from me - Just saying

shadiya

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 12 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, got to admit, I know very little about ducks but have yet to find a single reference to the Aylesbury being anything other than a table bird, with a pink bill if it's the real Mc Coy. As I'm a veggie, can't see that they'll be an awful lot of use to me so will stick to the Cambells, even though they aren't quite POL yet. Suppose I could pick up some chooks too, for instant eggs. I'm having to BUY eggs - shudder

Joanne, I'm combining the trip with a detour to North Wales to collect some polycarbonate sheets for my mobile greenhouse project, with a 5m trailer in tow so don't think visiting anyone is really on the cards. Unless of course you're headed down south in the near future and are offering to bring my ducks for me...

chez

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 12 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joanne wrote:
Preston is only 20 minutes from me - Just saying

Could you bring one or two for me when you come to visit me, please? So I can put them with my drake and have some unrelated ducklings?

foggy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 12 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While Aylesbury's are a table bird, they do lay a decent amount of decent sized eggs. Mine have laid every day since mid-Feb so far, fingers crossed they carry on.

A neighbour up the road got some 'Aylesbury' chicks from the market last year. They grew up to be Pekins.

oldish chris

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 12 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just don't tell Netanyahu that you've got ducks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fyTGfoft68

shadiya

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 12 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picked up 15 ducks on Friday, not sure about their nuclear potential though! They are a bit timid so far, but then it is a long drive but hopefully they'll soon settle in and that will be great, even better when they start laying.

Books I've got suggest Aylesburys lay 80-120 eggs a year, which, given the size of them and how much they must surely eat, is probably not the best laying bird to go for but if you have them anyway.... Anyway, I've got the Campbells now and will keep my eyes open for some Calls for fun, maybe even visit an auction as a little treat to myself

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive