links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Amazing forage
Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 05 8:15 pm    Post subject: Amazing forage Reply with quote

What an amazing morning. I snaffled this lot in 20 minutes flat. I've been picking half a pound of tawny grisettes every other day for a month (i'm almost sick of them!!), today offered a pound and a quarter, plus the added bonus of the parasol and agaricus.

Spotted an apple tree on the common with lots of lovely windfalls to snaffle for chutney, which I shall get tomorrow.

And to cap it all I've found a supplier of the most amazing delicious free range organic chicken at £4 a bird. A local old boy who mostly sells eggs but has recently started raising meat birds.

A blimmin' good day on the downsizing front!

Penny Outskirts

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 05 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Nettie, what a day!! I'm a mushroom virgin, so what's the big one? It looks huge compared to the others

Bernie66

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 05 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And i am still scared of most mushrooms just in case
Nice one

nettie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 05 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggun's a parasol. Nearly the size of a plate. Very delicate flavour, lovely grilled on a cast iron chargriller.

Penny Outskirts

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 05 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yummmmmmmm!!!

Jonnyboy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 05 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well impressed, that parasol is huge!

Four quid for an organic chicken??, and meat birds not ex layers?? That beats my brown crab for a quid hands down.

2steps

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 05 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow thats massive

Still not sure what to do re mushrooms. not sure if I'll like and if so what ones and that I'll be able to id them well enough to want to eat them. OH says he's not eating fungus full stop

last time I was in town I spotted an apple tree next to the railway line. walking past there this morning starving so reach over and picked one and wow sooo yummy I'm not a massive apple fan but this was delicious. (green and speckled red on the outside, white, crispy and a slightly tart inside)

Last edited by 2steps on Fri Sep 23, 05 9:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bugs

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 05 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't recommend enough going on some kind of formal foray to gain some confidence. Not that I have any confidence after going on a number but I will try a mouthful (down, boys) sometimes. Wildlife Trust is a good starting place (even if it will tend to focus on "what a lovely place this is" rather than "this goes well in an omelette") - if nothing else it's a nice afternoon's walk and a chance to learn something too.

nettie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 05 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonnyboy wrote:
Well impressed, that parasol is huge!

Four quid for an organic chicken??, and meat birds not ex layers?? That beats my brown crab for a quid hands down.

Definitely a meat bird. The tenderest, most tasty chicken I've ever tasted (and believe me I've tried a few different so called organic free range ones!!) The best price I've had before is £6.50 for non-organic free range from the farmer's market.

cab

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 05 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad at all Nettie!

I wish I got more grisettes here, I never see them around Cambridge. I have a fridge full of parasols, puffballs, agaricus, fairy rings and agrocybe at the moment, but I'd swap some for some grisettes quite happily!

Do you preserve the grisettes any way? Do they dry well or freeze at all?

cab

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 05 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and that's a bloody good price for good chicken!

nettie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 05 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2steps wrote:

last time I was in town I spotted an apple tree next to the railway line. walking past there this morning starving so reach over and picked one and wow sooo yummy I'm not a massive apple fan but this was delicious. (green and speckled red on the outside, white, crispy and a slightly tart inside)

Get up there with a carrier bag young lady!!!

cab

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 05 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2steps wrote:

Excellent

The best apples are the ones that grow over a fence. Scrumping makes them better eating, you know.

2steps

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 05 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

back up there tomorrow. to tasty to miss

nettie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 05 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cab wrote:
Not bad at all Nettie!

I wish I got more grisettes here, I never see them around Cambridge. I have a fridge full of parasols, puffballs, agaricus, fairy rings and agrocybe at the moment, but I'd swap some for some grisettes quite happily!

Do you preserve the grisettes any way? Do they dry well or freeze at all?

It's the first year I've come across them in any quantity; I have two "patches" that have been producing merrily for weeks. No one else luckily has a clue! The biggest problem is kids using them a football practice.

They're a very "wet" mushroom; you need to pick them on a dry morning and process them as soon as you can, otherwise they deteriorate very quickly, growing mould or just turning to mush. Good specimens dry quickly, but as yet i haven't reconstituted them to see what happens (too busy trying to munch my way through the fresh ones first!!)

They need to be cooked before freezing, where they give off a lot of liquid. Again, I've no idea what happens when they're reheated, although I suspect they'll dissolve.

They taste quite earthy and nutty, and can be a little bitter. I think they'll be great in risotto with a squeeze of lemon juice and maybe a pinch of sugar.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging All times are GMT
Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive