Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Spider crab, spider crab...
Page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Fishing
Author 
 Message
Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator


Joined: 28 Oct 2004
Posts: 25697
Location: Jumping on the bandwagon of opportunism
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 12 8:18 pm    Post subject: Spider crab, spider crab...  Reply with quote    

... does whatever a spider can ...

Found this perky little critter the other day which is probably the largest crab I've found on the seashore.


Although he (she?) was a bit small for eating, so was carefully returned to a safer place, apparently it's not unheard of to find edible sized spider crabs at low tide at this time of year. Has anyone managed this and, if so, are they worth eating? This one was quite high up the beach so with the coming low tides there's hope of finding others.

Northern Boy



Joined: 04 Oct 2010
Posts: 976

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 12 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Whoo-hoo!

It's a bit dinky tho' that one, not really worth eating. The minimum landing size is 12cm, tho' might vary depending where you are.

I was out netting them off the kayak last week (while Moniar and co were fishing for Tope)

I did alright! - http://t.co/UoUL2uj4

Nicky Colour it green



Joined: 25 Jun 2007
Posts: 8617
Location: Devon, uk
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 12 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

I've only ever had spider crab that was picked up by divers or in pots - but they are good eating, yes. - and as you say, much bigger.

vegplot



Joined: 19 Apr 2007
Posts: 21297
Location: Ynys Môn
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 12 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Used to see loads of the while divining around Anglesey. Some were scarily large.

Northern Boy



Joined: 04 Oct 2010
Posts: 976

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 12 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

This is the biggest one I've ever caught, tho there are way bigger ones out there. 5lbs (2.3kg).

It was one of the most delicious things I have ever eaten, tho there does seem to be a lot of variability between crabs.




Moniar



Joined: 26 Jan 2009
Posts: 152
Location: Lampeter, west Wales
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 12 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Northern Boy

I fancy a go for them spider crabs - plenty of them around Cardigan Bay - is there a special type of net you use for them? I have got a couple of the cheap prawn pots which have had eater crabs in them along with a 7 lb bull huss on one occasion. I intend trying a bit harder for the lobster and crab this summer off the kayak whilst I spin for bass.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator


Joined: 28 Oct 2004
Posts: 25697
Location: Jumping on the bandwagon of opportunism
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 12 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Northern Boy wrote:
It's a bit dinky tho' that one, not really worth eating. The minimum landing size is 12cm, tho' might vary depending where you are.


It certainly looked a bit small although it was around 10+ so not far off (I think it's 12cm female, 13cm male).

So, everyone thinks they're tasty. How does everyone kill them? Pop in the freezer for a couple of hours, spike behind the eyes, into cool water and bring to boil, straight into boiling water or some other method.

Nick



Joined: 02 Nov 2004
Posts: 33630
Location: Hereford
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 12 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Am I right that it's only the legs you eat on a spider crab?

Remember seeing hundreds landed for export in Cornwall and Wales as a kid. Haven't seen one for years.

Jamanda
Downsizer Moderator


Joined: 22 Oct 2006
Posts: 34880
Location: Devon
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 12 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Nick wrote:
Am I right that it's only the legs you eat on a spider crab?

Remember seeing hundreds landed for export in Cornwall and Wales as a kid. Haven't seen one for years.


No! There's loads of lovely brown meat in the shell. There's not much in the legs.

Northern Boy



Joined: 04 Oct 2010
Posts: 976

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 12 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Moniar wrote:
Northern Boy

I fancy a go for them spider crabs - plenty of them around Cardigan Bay - is there a special type of net you use for them? I have got a couple of the cheap prawn pots which have had eater crabs in them along with a 7 lb bull huss on one occasion. I intend trying a bit harder for the lobster and crab this summer off the kayak whilst I spin for bass.


I use hoop nets which I bought with me when I moved back from the US. I think here in the UK we have 'drop nets' which are similar, but mine have a much bigger mesh size which lets the dinks out. They don't get trapped until you lift the nets tho, so you have to lift them every 20-60 mins to see what's happening. Tbh that's half the fun for me, seeing the shapes forming as I lift the net from the gloom.

I did put out a string (well, two) of those collapsible prawn pots when we were out last week and when I lifted them (after 5h) they were full of spider crabs, but all bar one were too small. There were a couple of monsters clinging to the outside as I lifted them but they dropped off as I lifted them to the surface. I think they're best left overnight to get the lobsters and brown crabs.

Northern Boy



Joined: 04 Oct 2010
Posts: 976

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 12 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Jamanda wrote:
Nick wrote:
Am I right that it's only the legs you eat on a spider crab?

Remember seeing hundreds landed for export in Cornwall and Wales as a kid. Haven't seen one for years.


No! There's loads of lovely brown meat in the shell. There's not much in the legs.


My god yes, the brown 'meat' is amazing, basically Crab Butter. I always find that I get a decent amount of white meat from inside the shells as well.

fungi2bwith



Joined: 08 Nov 2007
Posts: 167
Location: NE Hants
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 12 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

When fishing off-shore of Folkstone some years ago I hooked a dead weight, which the skipper was convinced was a cod, I was certain it wasn't a fish but was pleasantly suprised when the biggest spider crab I have ever seen surfaced. It weighed almost 6lb. You try finding a pot to boil that in! It tasted great. Some fresh with mayonaise while still warm, some of the brown meat to make a pasta source the next day and lots of crab cakes for the freezer. better than a cod any day.

Garry

dpack



Joined: 02 Jul 2005
Posts: 32779
Location: yes
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 12 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

ace tasty critters

i have used a X frame of two sticks with sliding nooses and bait ,drop in ,wait for twitching ,pull ,very effective ,

good shore spots are off rocks into deep water with a sandy bed or forage at very low tide ,

not as pinchy as lobsters or big edible crabs but they can nip a bit and biguns are quite strong

Moniar



Joined: 26 Jan 2009
Posts: 152
Location: Lampeter, west Wales
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 12 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Cheers - will see what is available locally - there is a firm in Aberystwyth making pots so I will see what they have to offer.

Northern Boy wrote:
Moniar wrote:
Northern Boy

I fancy a go for them spider crabs - plenty of them around Cardigan Bay - is there a special type of net you use for them? I have got a couple of the cheap prawn pots which have had eater crabs in them along with a 7 lb bull huss on one occasion. I intend trying a bit harder for the lobster and crab this summer off the kayak whilst I spin for bass.


I use hoop nets which I bought with me when I moved back from the US. I think here in the UK we have 'drop nets' which are similar, but mine have a much bigger mesh size which lets the dinks out. They don't get trapped until you lift the nets tho, so you have to lift them every 20-60 mins to see what's happening. Tbh that's half the fun for me, seeing the shapes forming as I lift the net from the gloom.

I did put out a string (well, two) of those collapsible prawn pots when we were out last week and when I lifted them (after 5h) they were full of spider crabs, but all bar one were too small. There were a couple of monsters clinging to the outside as I lifted them but they dropped off as I lifted them to the surface. I think they're best left overnight to get the lobsters and brown crabs.

sean
Downsizer Moderator


Joined: 28 Oct 2004
Posts: 41659
Location: North Devon
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 12 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Pasta with crab sauce for tea. And the debris has gone in the freezer to become a bisque at some point.
I'd like to have a heroic fishing anecdote but Jamanda just bought the crab at the fishmonger in Barnstaple this morning.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

 

Archive
Powered by php-BB © 2001, 2005 php-BB Group
Style by marsjupiter.com, released under GNU (GNU/GPL) license.
Copyright © 2004 marsjupiter.com

<-- -->